Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey on the large

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I been asked to do the bird on the Egg this year..what is the largest size you have put on a large????? I`m looking to do around 18 to 20#. I have done one before but really have no idea how big it was...any additional advice would be greatly appreciated, times, temps,direct,platesetter,internal temps, etc....[p]Wess

Comments

• Big John
    Options
    WessB,
    I did a 22# turkey two weeks ago and it came out great. I used a plate setter and drip pan under the cooking grid. I just followed the direction on the bird as far as the temperature is concerned. I have a BBQ GURU and set the cooking temperature, put the bird on, went to town and did some shopping and when I returned the bird was almost done. Really easy.[p]Big John

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    WessB,
    I beg you to use Jappledogs "Turkey al a John Ash" recipe. I don't have it handy, computer crashed. I have sent it to enough of my friends so I can get it back, just not now. I'm not sure that is the exact name, but it's close enough for someone to chime in.
    I can't put into words how good this bird comes out... I just can't.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    WessB, I have cooked #20 and #22 lb'rs on my large. I have not tried the brine thing yet, just a rather mundane recipe of olive oil on the outside, stuffed with hunks of apple and onion. Light on the smoke - couple of small hickorey chunks. Plug in the remote therm and let the BGE do it's thang.[p]Rave reviews from the invited guests. Cook agrees.[p]LVM

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    WessB,.....and to answer the rest of your questions...[p]I use a plate setter /w drip pan - got to use those juices for the gravey!!! For temp, I target 325. Time - depends on the size of the bird - 4-5 hours ?[p]LVM

• WessB,
    If'n you don't try this you will be missin da best'en of da bunch. Use as large as you want , and don't go buyin one of the place setter thangs if you don't have one yet , I'm sure you got a standard rack that bird will lay down in that works perfect. here's the recipe

• WessB,
    Couldn't see my link on that previous post, so I'm trying to post it here: http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=4370

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Chet,
    When you put a link in the "optional link" box at the bottom you HAVE to give it a "link title" or it wont show up, the title can be anything you want...HTH[p]Wess

• WessB,
    Ohhhhh! Learn something new everyday.

[ul][li]anchiote butter basted turkey w/chili ancho gravy[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    WessB,[p]Here's what I wrote in my notes about a fresh turkey cooked the morning of 11/22/01....[p]"26 lb turkey @ 450 for 20 minutes and dropped down to 350 for rest of cook. Took 5 hours on V rack on main grill w/ drip pan w/ water.
    Drippings made for excellent gravy.
    Probe in breast reached 170 (bird was upside down on rack) checked thigh and it was 185. Gotta watch that."[p]Those finish temps seem a little high now but I don't remember it being anything but moist. I also remember using pecan chips which gave the bird a very nice mahogany color. Hope this helps you.[p]John[p]

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    WessB,
    The largest was about a 26# bird on a VTR. A couple of things to remember is the thermometer's location so it doesn't stick in the breast of the bird and make sure it is down as far as you can get it so it doesn't plug the top. I started it about 6:30 a.m. and it was to 180 degrees by 12:30 (cooking between 300 and 350 degrees). I just washed it, pulled out the giblet bag, and sprayed it with Pam. I have smoked it both with and without a drip pan and really not noticed much of a difference.
    Good Luck,
    Julie

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WessB,
    whatever else you decide to do. . .to insure that the breast and thighs finish at the same time. .. 20 minutes before putting the bird on to roast, take a one gallon ziplock bag full of ice and lay it over the breasts. . .that 20 minutes on ice will lower the breast temps enough that after 5 or 6 of roasting time, they will have caught up to the thighs perfectly. .. i've been doing this for about 10 years now and works every time. . .[p]good luck[p]max