Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beer butt turkey???

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to try doing a smoked turkey (practicing for thanksgiving)
And I am curious
I have never read a post where anyone has used the beer can method
on a turkey, is ther a reason why I would not want to do that?
My turkey has been in brine for about 16 hours and I plan to inject him with some creole stuff that I bought from the store, then rub him down with olive oil and butter and dust him with some home made rub,
Then I wanted to stick a magnum beer can up his butt and introduce him to the egg with a dome of mabe about 300 untill the internal hits about 180 mabe spritzing him with apple juice or marcella wine during the cook.
what do you think
any feed back would be great
thank you
Glenn

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Glenn,
    Sounds like a good plan.....I don't know if i'd spritz Tom Turkey with anything though, it might have a tendency to make the skin too moist, leaving no crispness to it. [p]I just throw the bird in and let em go until the internal reaches your chosen number. Let the dome do it's thing.[p]Pork shoulder going as we speak.[p]Mike in MN

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Have you ever done the injector thing??
    this was my first try and as far as I can tell there was more mess than it was worth, or mabe I did something wrong.
    I bought the injector thingie
    i bought the injector juice and I thought that I followed the directions when I did the injectin deed.
    But alas when I set the turkey bak up on his stand He just oozes the gunk out . Glad I had him settin in a drip pan.
    That just isnt what I envisioned the out come to be.
    Any how he is in the egg up to his ankles with the injector goo that oozed out. But besides that he looks good I plan to pull him out when he is at 180 internal he is at 165 now
    Ill let you know the result if you are interested
    thanks for the reply Glenn