Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon done Temps

JCinGA
JCinGA Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best temp to cook Salmon to?
Thanks
Jim
JCinGA

Comments

• I have to admit that I NEVER temp any fish!
    When it flakes with a fork or knife point...It is done!
    I do however have a "RULE of THUMB"
    On the grid at 375 to 400 F = 4 to 5 minutes per side.
    On the plank at 375 to 400 F = 8 to 10 minutes / inch of thickness.
    Hope this helps. :)
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    That was a great help.
    Thank you.
    Jim
    JCinGA
  • I grill it direct on cedar plank, grill at 450 to 500 cook til Salmon is aprox 130 degrees internal ... you gotta "flake" it and make sure the dark pink is all gone but at 130 it's typically done and still really moist and fantastic.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    in my house, if it flakes, it's overdone....

hate to admit, i don't often take the temps either. but usually for salmon i'm gunning for 140-145
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • That sounds about right. I cooked this about a zillion times this summer working on the rub recipe and at 130 you have to "flake it" .. sort of pull it apart to look down and see if it's done. If I see 130 I yank it ... also, I've been consistently cutting the large filet into 2 to 3 inch pieces when I plank it.
    Gonna try to post some pics. ..here I go
    6%20done%201.jpg
    7%20DONE%202.JPG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I like my salmon in the 125-130 range. Melts like butter in your mouth at those temps.

I am a rare steak kinda guy, so keep that in mind. Anything north of 140 and it is overdone in my opinion.
  • yep ..so we concur ..about 130 for salmon ...it gets real buttery. Fidel and Stike, send me an email with address off list and I'll send you something to try.
  • stike
    i honestly almost never take the temp any more. when the fat comes out and starts to turn white i generally press it to see how firm it is. as long as it isn't flabby, but is a little firm, i take it off too.

you might be right about temps, frankly. 145 (what i said) sounds a little high. take it off at 130-135, and it'll coast to 140-145

good to see you posting.

you have a lot to offer.
  • stike
    i think yer right....

my temps might be north of ideal. more like "serve" temps rather than pull temps
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i go with the lower temps posted above ,, but i eat a lot of sushi and like the cow to moo when i cut it. i do 120/130 and like when the center is still translucnet and not opaque pink
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    130 to 135 for me. 140 seems to get a little dry on the thinner portions.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Fred,
    I was wondering where ya been and nice to se ya posting as I always enjoy your post.
    I did some Salmon tonight for the first time and is was frozen from Resturant Depot, sprayed with EVOO and a good bit of ragin river meat side down first and then fliped to skin side down till the skin stuck to the grid pulled when I pressed and it did not spring back. It was so good that KayNOcook and I said why haven't we done this before.
    I tried some other fish on the ceder plank about a year ago took one bite and plank and all went the trash can, but after your picture guess I better give it a go with Salmon.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer