Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Marinade

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After the recent talk, and the article MikeO posted, I am trying a marinade I thru together with buttermilk, and simple seasonings. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, tad of rosemary and thyme. I am marinating some thighs that I will cook tonight.[p]Is that something I need to rinse off?? Or just let it drip a bit then slap em on the grill?? Not yet done this buttermilk thing. Anyone?[p]Thanks
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I would personally leave it on and just slap 'em on the grill. I use a buttermilk marinade on some wings that I make but I dredge the wings in a flour/spice mixture so the liquid on the wings is desireable in that case. I can't see how it would hurt the cook at all and it would allow some of those spices to remain on the meat during the cook as opposed to being rinsed off and wasted. JMHO.[p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Give KOC a shout! He's got me using buttermilk as a marinade on almost everything. It works too! I did wings on St. Patty's day and you should have seen the contentment on our guest's faces. They could not believe they were marinaded in buttermilk (and some other stuff). If you listen to him, he'll have you using it for everything!!! Everything!!! :^)[p]Cheers! Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Cool! I look forward to this.
    I think I am just gonna pull the thighs out of the marinade bag, lay em on a plate, shake on some rub, and slap em on the humpty magic machine![p]What else does KOC use buttermilk for?? Could be onto something big. We'll see.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Would not want to wash of spices! The buttermilk that remains on the chicken should grab ahold of the rub fairly nicely also.
    Thanks
    Eggfest Fever (Sportin' my Leisure Suit!)
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    And.....just how long does one marinate something in buttermilk???
    Bob

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RLA,
    Still new to the buttermilk thing. Depends on the meat. Fish the shortest, pork the longest for most marinades. Cook's Illustrated mentions chicken 2 to 24 hours. [p]Two of the thighs I started last night, then I added 4 more, and some more seasoned buttermilk this morning.[p]Curious as to what will happen![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com