Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder - Chili Verde?

Options
SoCalWJS
SoCalWJS Posts: 407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife is picking up two shoulders for the weekend, and wants to make one into chili verde. I know that most recipes call for other cuts of pork, but what I was wondering was if I could just use 1 shoulder.

If I were to pull a shoulder immediately after the plateau, allow it to cool completely, THEN cube it for going into the verde, would it work?

I'm thinking it would just shred/"pull", but wasn't quite sure. I'm pretty sure she wants the cubes, and not the pulled "carnitas", as far as texture goes.

Any suggestions appreciated. Our last attempt at CV wasn't very good.
South SLO County

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Love Chili Verde.

Here are a few ideas.

Chili, Pork, Green

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild
    2-3 3 1/2 Ozs. Green Chilis, Diced
    1 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca
    4 Tbs. Red Tomato Paste`
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder,
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Preparation
    1 Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.
    2 Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.
    3 Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.
    4 Works well with leftover turkey or chicken also. Freezes very well!
    5 This can also be done on the BGE, 9 QT Dutch Oven, Indirect, Plate Setter leg up, something to lift the DO off the plate setter 1/2 inch or so, 350F, no top on DO, light smoke couple of hours. Keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Yield: 2

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1980/05/25

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    SoCal....In agreement for the most part with the recipes provided above. Do not cook the pork, then "pull" it. SImply cube the raw pork, sear, and simmer. Also, make sure you roast the peppers, skin and seed, then chop. Tomatillos are an absolute must, as they provide the acid component. Cumin is also a key flavor. I like to finish mine with a bit of chopped fresh cilantro, and a wedge of fresh lime served on the side for squeezing as desired. Time is the absolute key to this dish, just like making a pot roast. Patience, and fine tuning as you go. (although both recipes above call for it, I have never included tomato paste in my chile verde....I'll leave that one up to you.) ;)
    Good luck! Let us know how it turns out! :)
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Hello Ross - looks good.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I'll have to run it by Anne and see what she thinks. She likes to cook, and she's showing more interest in actually COOKING on the BGE, rather than just what I cook for her. If it's up to me, the more I do on the egg, the better. Gotta figure out if I want to pick up tomatillos, or just get some already canned.

Leaning towards roasting/smoking most of the ingredients, but - we'll see.

One of these days, I have to set up an account and start attaching pictures - the photos you guys post MAKE the post. B)
    South SLO County
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have been using already canned for the last gazillion years and the only thing I do is drain them, cut the stem out and remove the translucent skin. Saves work.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    John, I hope you and Ann have a great cook!!!

Ross