Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gretl's Apple Crisp Recipe

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not very long ago, Gretl posted what sounded like a wonderful apple crisp recipe, but after spending the last 45 minutes searching, I've given up and resorted to asking...did anyone bookmark it? I can't find it and wanted to do it this weekend...or, Gretl if you're out there, could you post it again?[p]Thanks,
Tonia
:~)

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Sounded good to me too, but I haven't tried it yet. I had this copied to a Word doc.[p]Apple Crostata Yield: 6 servings[p]For the pastry:
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons granulated or superfine sugar
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 pound (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter, diced
    2 tablespoons ice water[p]For the filling:
    1 1/2 pounds McIntosh, Macoun, or Empire apples (3 large)
    1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup granulated or superfine sugar
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced[p]For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food
    processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine. Add
    the butter and pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the butter is the size of
    peas. With the motor running, add the ice water all at once through the
    feed tube. Keep hitting the pulse button to combine, but stop the
    machine just before the dough becomes a solid mass. Turn the dough
    onto a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic and
    refrigerate for at least 1 hour.[p]Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.[p]Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11-inch circle on a
    lightly floured surface. Transfer it to a baking sheet.[p]For the filling, peel, core, and cut the apples into 8ths. Cut each
    wedge into 3 chunks. Toss the chunks with the orange zest. Cover the
    tart dough with the apple chunks leaving a 1 1/2-inch border.[p]Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a
    food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse
    until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your
    fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the
    apples. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough,
    pleating it to make a circle.[p]Bake the crostata for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is golden and
    the apples are tender. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.[p]Gretl on BGE forum

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Pakak,
    This is not apple crisp, but more of an apple tart. She posted it in response to a whine of mine. Is this what Qbabe was really looking for?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Ahh, well it sounded good anyway. I have no idea what she "really" was looking for as my ESP powers aren't the greatest. :)
  • QBabe
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Yes, that's the one and you're right, it isn't a crisp at all...I just remembered something where she baked apples but it wasn't a pie and not whole apples either but had a crumbly thing on top...I forgot about the pastry on the bottom...[p]Thanks,
    Tonia

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    QBabe,
    I just stopped in for a moment to ask a question and then found you're asking one of me.
    Your're right; this is what I posted in response to NW. It could very well be cooked in the Egg on a pizza stone. However, you couldn't slide the dough onto the stone b/c it's a very tender delicate dough. If you made it on a small pizza pan, it would work just fine. It's SO good. Please let me know if you try this one on the Egg, okay?[p]I have been making crisps, too, but not in the Egg. I don't have a recipe in front of me, but the topping's butter, brown sugar, flour, oatmeal and some cinnamon.
    Cheers,
    G.

• QBabe
    Options
    Gretl,[p]When you fold the bottom dough over the apples to form a circle, it won't fully cover the center, will it? Or, is it supposed to be closed like a tart is?[p]Thanks,
    Tonia