Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress Wood

Options
JCinGA
JCinGA Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I bought some cypress for my next table project from Florida Cypress in Jacksonville. You eggheads in SE Georgia or NE Florida should give these people a try. They treated me right and worked with me on what I needed.
I do not work for Florida Cypress or have any affliation other than being a satisfied customer.
Jim
JCinGA.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I got my Cypress table from the mothership in Tucker. The one thing I wish I had done was to dismantle it completely, add the finish to all the parts, and then reassemble. We used marine varnish but it did not get between all the fine cracks, especially in the top.

On occasion I would forget to put the vinyl cover in place (like waiting for it to cool after a cook) and it would get rained on and I had water seep into some of the wood and cause rotting... yes, my bad!

I also would have replaced the staples in the few places they were used with wood screws. Of course I'd drill all the holes first before finishing to make sure it was water tight and then reassemble.

Anyway... yeah, I need to fab a new table. Someday if I don't mind the embarrassment I'll post of pick of my "weathered" eTable.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    For Atlanta folks, Norcross Supply is worth a visit. A buddy and I each did our tables in Cypress 1x4s. They were smooth on 3 sides (one face and both edges). Often lumber is rough on one edge and requires rip cuts. This lumber was great because you just put the rough face on the bottom and make the entire table with a straight cuts and a jigsaw for the hole. The wood was very affordable, same or less than pressure treated. Made it easier to spend up for stainless screws. Only thing was they didn't have good 2x4s or 4x4s in stock so we joined two 1x4s for each leg.

Design-wise, basic style as Naked Whiz plans. Added some stainless wires on hooks underneath to hang the platesetter. Sanded and used about 4 or 5 coats of Helmsman Spar varnish.

Link to: Norcross Supply

IMG_0154.jpg

pizza_italian005.jpg