Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stones

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks,[p]I just have to say that being the new guy at the Florida Eggtoberfest with my new medium egg, Egg folks are awesome!! Thank you all who where there.[p]I do have a question about pizza stones. I know that there is one supplied through the BGE but I have heard that you can use unfinished ceramic floor tiles as a pizza stone that you can obtain at a local home improvement store. [p]Has anyone heard of this and if so what are the pros and cons of this idea. I do know that they come in different thickness.[p]Once again, thank you all at the Florida Fest for welcoming me.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Walla Walla Boy,[p]The party wouldn't have been the same without you. Nice to meet you.[p]Ceramic floor tile isn't really a good option. They aren't fired to as high a temperature as a pizza stone, and can't withstand repeated heating and cooling. I've probably had 4 or 5 at various times, and manage only a couple of cooks before they crack and split. A better option, if you don't want to buy a pizza stone is a kiln shelf from a ceramic supply house. And some folks have had good luck with the pizza stones from kitchen stores (Bed, Bath & Beyond kind of places).[p]Ken
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Walla Walla Boy,
    You might have partially heard this from me. I don't cook pizza or breads on the tiles, like Ken said, they don't last very long. I do get the chipped ones, for about 25 cents and use them as a heat deflector (instead of your plate setter). When they crack or break, I throw them away. [p]My Pizza stone came from somewhere like Bed, Bath and Beyond. Just don't put a real pizza stone directly over the fire, use something like your plate setter or a cheap tile so you're cooking with indirect heat.[p]That was excellent pork. It's hard to believe (no, not really) that it was your first attempt.[p]BOB

• Banker John
    Options
    Walla Walla Boy,
    Hi Mark, so you decided on Walla Walla Boy!?! I was kind of hoping for Band Director. What is behind Walla Walla Boy?[p]I thoroughly enjoyed your first shoulder. I have to admit, I was one of the ones in the background having negative thoughts, thinking, yeah right, this is going to taste crappy. Your method really suprises me. All the posts I have seen here for a pork shoulder were for low & slow at 200-225. Yours was at what, 375? It sliced so nice and was just the right amount of moisture inside. I'm actually planning on cooking a small one tomorrow evening.[p]For the pizza stone, I had one of those pampered chef stones that I used to cook pizza in the kitchen oven all the time with. Once I got the egg, it lasted 2 complete pizza cooks. On the 3rd, I had the unnatural disaster... Think of a non-musically inclined 7th grader attempting tuba for the first time... and the stone cracked and ruined my pizza. This is also the pizza that slid off my peel onto my back porch ( a bad night! ).[p]Save money for an extra couple pay checks and get the ceramic pizza stone made for the Egg. Don't forget to get the plate setter.[p]Hope to see you here often.[p]Banker John

• I, too, *had* a pampered chef pizza stone that met the same fate. I think some pizza stones can't take heat for extended periods of time. I'd suggest buying the real thing from egg people.