Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Spatchcock Chicken Tonight

ShiffShiff Posts: 1,367
edited 6:59PM in EggHead Forum
Cooked a Spatchcock Chicken tonight and it was as good as the first one I cooked a few weeks ago.

Here is a picture of it right before it came off the BGE

Barry Lancaster, PA

• Aunt CrazyAunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Gorgeous! That is one of my very favorites off the BGE...
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice color! Looks like mine!! Great job.
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Nice looking bird, Barry! One of my favorties on the Egg! Happy Eggin!! :laugh:
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Looks dang good from here in KS and without a clue of what's for supper :( Going to have any leftovers? :laugh:
  • TennisbumTennisbum Posts: 228
    never get skin to look that good and crisp. Any pointers?
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,367
    There are some leftovers from the chicken, but they're planned for lunch tomorrow. Sorry.

I am constantly amazed at what a great cooking method this is.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    Some people have said to leave it uncovered in the refrigerator for 12 hours. I didn;t do that due to the time. My first one didn't sit at all in the fridge, but this one had about 4 hours. I think the skin tasted better on this (more crispy) one than my first one, but they both looked just as brown.

Next time I hope to get it ready earlier so it can sit longer in the fridge.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • AlvinSrAlvinSr Posts: 15
    Hate to ask,(I did a search, no luck) is there a recipe
    for spatchcock chicken? tia
  • skihornskihorn Posts: 600
    Alvin: Your BGE manual should have a recipe for "Simon and Garfunkel chicken." Same thing. Have never understood why this forum has always called it "Spatchcock" when the the official manual says something different. Who knows? Anway, welcome to the forum and the cult!

League City, TX
  • AlvinSrAlvinSr Posts: 15
    Oh...ok thanks :ohmy:
  • bbqdivabbqdiva Posts: 12
    I am a new egger. So how long did you cook that chicken and at what temp? Did you use smoking chips? My chips burn up as soon as I put them on. :)
    I cooked it at 350 direct for about 1 hour and used a thermapen to check the temperature. I don't use chips since they tend to burn quickly when the lid is open. I only use chunks - tonight I used hickory and only a few pieces since chicken seems to absorb smoke quickly.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    Did you check the recipe section right here on the forum? Checkout page 2 of the poultry section for one called "Dead Simple Spatchcocked Chicken "

You can see the same recipe with pictures at

If you want to know about the definition of spatchcock, check this URL
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • Mistick2Mistick2 Posts: 15
    :) I'm Lori from Leola, PA....& that looks like a mighty good chicken! I'm glad there is another egger in Lancaster County!
    There are at least 2 others and probably more.

I had my BGE table made by Meadow Creek in New Holland not too far from you.
    Barry Lancaster, PA