Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Haus progress

Options
UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I had promised some progress shots of my egg haus so here they are :) Unfortunately, the smoke house is small, so I can't back up enough to give you a view of all of it in one picture. BTW, haus is Pennsylvania Dutch for house in case anyone is wondering.... Pronounced hoss, like Hoss Cartright.

Anyway, the table is done as you can see, sporting my new small. The shine on the table is due to a recent coat of food grade mineral oil that hasn't been absorbed yet. Below the table top, we have some shelves built out of cedar.

BigAndSmall.JPG
[p]
Like I said, this is a progress report, not a final, so you can see some tools on the shelves, etc. The large egg is sitting on some old granite floor tiles we had left over from our bathroom remodeling. We routed them into the cedar, and cut the corners to hold the granite in place so we can sweep the ashes into a receptacle.
LowerShelves.JPG
[p]
I'm planning to mount the BBQ-Guru on the wood frame, to the left of the oven mit, and run the wire to the fan down the post, so it's out of the way. The left side of the table is only about half the width of the main table, which is fine. There's plenty of work space.

Corner.JPG
[p]
On the left hand side, I have plenty of storage space for charcoal (notice the supply of Wicked Good ;) Thanks Lee) The hook closest to the corner is reserved for holding a hot grid, and of course, the hook to the far left bears the responsibility of keeping my LawnRanger gridlifter readily available.

LeftSide.JPG

On the far right (not pictured) I've mounted a dispenser for cling wrap to the frame for the roof. It's a little high, but very usable, and makes use of some space that would be wasted otherwise. So far, I'm pretty happy with everything, but for one problem, smoke. I didn't take any pics, but the roof is slate with a standard round smokestack that sticks through the roof and about 12 inches into the smokehouse. It's located roughly above the large egg, but about 12 inches behind it. There's a roof rafter between a perpendicular to the egg and the vent. Initially, I thought the problem was that I just wasn't generating enough draft, so I installed an electric draft fan, which has helped, but not solved the problem... There's too many obstructions in the ceiling to allow a smooth flow, plus the stove pipe sticks through the highest point of the roof into the room by the 12 inches mentioned above. I'm thinking that I'll have to create a stainless ceiling above the egg, and extend the stovepipe into a flush position with that stainless ceiling. I'll post some more pictures whenever I get to that point. In the interim, it's very functional. Two chickens and a turkey breast were smoking away as I took these pictures.

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    UnConundrum,
    That is a beautiful setup! Plenty of work space. WHat I really like anbout it is that it's on a corner whereas you can have preped food waiting as you can have alot of space to take off and/or finished without any space/intereference problems.
    I took a new job now that will give me the privledge of moving to Allentown, PA next spring so hopefully you will be available to give me pointers on setting up my egg world then :)
    Good luck with your setup![p]ST
    [/b]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    UnConundrum,[p]Could you run a section of flexible dryer vent hose from the top of your Egg to the stovepipe? Seems like that would solve your smoke problem. It would be very easy to move from one Egg to the other as needed, although it wouldn't solve the problem of cooking with both Eggs at the same time. At the very least, it wouldn't be a bad temporary solution. BTW, that's a great table and I love the haus![p]Jim
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Well, that's great! Depending on where in the Allentown area you locate, you'll be real close. Downtown Allentown is about 25 minutes from me. The Allentown Medical Center is only 18 minutes out... Would be great to get together :)

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    UnConundrum,[p]Your Smokin Haus is most ausgezeichnet!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    UnConundrum,[p]That is schweeeeet!I like oall of the lump storage area too!
  • UnConundrum,
    That is possibly the nicest egg setup that I've seen to date. You need to take a picture after you have removed the ugly white color from the inside of that small.[p]Nice job.

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    UnConundrum,[p]That's a beeeuuuutiful setup. I'll give you a great solution for the ash. Remove that granite piece in the front, fashion a piece of sheet metal into a chute that attaches to the egg, and hang a small galvanized bucket underneath the table to catch the ashes. When fashioning the sheet metal, fold a 12"x10" (approx.) almost in half, the idea is to use one half to slide under the Egg and fashion the top half into a chute that butts up to the bottom of the draft door. It looks like a slide when done. Simply drag your ashes out on to the chute and into the bucket.[p]Take care,[p]CC