Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TREX Ribeye today

Options
MississippiCoastEgg
MississippiCoastEgg Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got some ribeyes cut to 1.75-2.00 inches thick, gonna Trex a couple today. I have done smaller ones and did 90 seconds per side on the sear and wondered if I should go longer with these thicker steaks?

I have also read about gasket problems and I have not had any, egg is about a month old to me and I have done several cooks, if I read correctly here I may have "seasoned" my gasket and should not have any problems, true?

AS always, thanks for any replies in advance. You guys here are responsible for a wonderful month of "your the greatest" from my family for my BGE cooks, I do give you guys full credit..... They know about my "forum advisers!" :laugh:

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    couple of tips when t-rexing. ..

first, as regards gaskets. ...if done properly, you will only be at 700 degrees for a matter of minutes....watch you egg.. . when you hit 700+ thats when you throw the steaks on .. .when you are done searing, immediately shut the vents down. . .temps will go down very quickly .. . therefore your gaskets shouldn't be an issue. .. .

as far as searing time. .. .figure 30 seconds of sear per side for each 1/2 of steak thickness. .. so if your steaks are 1 1/2 inches thick then go 90 seconds per side. ..2 inches thick, go 2 minutes. .etc. .. this is the one thing i do where i'm very precise. .. actually stand there and watch the second hand on my watch. .. .so in your case if you are just a little less than 2 inches thick, then i'd go just a little less than 2 minutes per side on the searing. .. .

hope that helps. ...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A sear is just that, a sear. Going longer is going to get darker or heavier sear. I would think the next step from a sear is burned.

Use the same time as you did on the previous sears. Then lower the temperature or raise the grate and finish the cook at a lower temperature until you get to your desired finished temperature.

'Seasoning' is a theory which I don't think is substantiated. If your gasket/adhesive is going to give, it will.

If you are concerned about your gasket here are a couple of ideas. Fill the lump to about 1" below the fire box. Remove the fire ring and light the egg. Get a well burning fire, wide and deep. When ready, put some smoke aroma wood on to the outside of the fire box and put the grate on the fire box.

Make sure the grate heats up then do your sear. Pull the meat, lift out the grate and put in the fire ring and replace the grate on the fire ring and finish the cook.

If you have two grates you can put the fire ring in after the first grate is put on.

If you have a raised grid then fill the lump up to almost hte top of the fire ring, then the grate, after the sear put on the raised grate and finish the cook. This method will put more stress on the gasket area then the method above.

The best option is to get an Adjustable Rig and Spider.

Light the lump put in the spider normal position, then a medium size grid and do the sear. When the sear is done put the grid on top of the adjustable rig and finish the cook. No stress on the gasket area whatsoever. The Adjustable rig and spider are well worth the investment, there is very seldom any cook that I don't that setup.

GG
  • MississippiCoastEgg
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

Now, I failed to follow my usual rule in checking the search feature before posting, so now I have checked, sorry..

I saw several post on "hot-tubbing" steaks, mine I have mine individually packaged with me food saver, should I put them in hot water? I should say, and I know some heads will shake :huh: But my wife and I both like medium to medium well steaks, does this make a difference on what method you choose?

Sorry for so many questions but I am ate up with my egg and have done well when getting info here. I got the apron yesterday, cast iron grate for my XL, I am already dreaming a making it to an Eggtoberfest!
  • MississippiCoastEgg
    Options
    been reading about the spider rig, got to be my next purchase, thanks