Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

happy new year prime rib

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
to any of you jewish eggers out there, a very happy new year (and la shona tova) to all of you. . .[p]had the parents over for dinner last night to celebrate. . .went down to the grocer and had him pull me a nice 3 rib prime rib (about 7 lbs). .. coated it good with kosher salt and herbs de provence. .. .set up both the small and large egges. ..got the small up to 500 degrees, and set up the large with plate setter and raised grill at 350. . ..laid the meat in the small for 15 minutes to sear it, then moved it over to the large and let it roast for almost exactly two hours (it came out right at 135 internal temp). . .after pulling the roast from small, i let the temps come down to about 400 and put some nice baking potatoes in the small to bake. .. [p]served the roast with the baked potatoes and a fresh salad with a home-made oil/vinager/bacon/sugar dressing.. ..the meat was just outstanding in every way. . . [p]had traditional honey cake (mom brought that) and apples and honey. ..[p]a very nice way to finish the holiday weekend... .

Comments

• UnConundrum
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Happy New Year to you as well :)
    Funny, we did a rib roast as well, but not on the egg. I cook a good bit, and a standing rib was always one of the best things I make... I tried one on the egg, but wasn't happy at all, so I've stuck to the traditional method. Did make some smoked almonds, and salmon for the vegitarians (we had 15 people). The menu was vast, but I won't bore everyone since very little was made on the egg.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    UnConundrum,
    don't give up on the prime rib on the egg. .. i recommend doing it exactly the way you would in your oven. . .indirect at the same temps. . .every one i do comes out excellent. . .and i'm no expert . . .[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, that sounds delicious! The only thing we Lutherans have to look to around this time of year is Octoberfest. Grilled brats and beer are certainly fine but not quite the feast you've described. Happy New Year to you!