Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best pizza set up with out an Ajustable Rig

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whats the best set up for making pizza on the egg?

I don't own an adjustable rig yet.

Do you place the pizza stone directly on the grill grate?

or

Use an inverted place setter and put the pizza stone on top?

What dome temp should I be running the egg at also?

thanks,

Big Papa

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    This is my preferred setup.

Temp is really going to depend on your dough. 500-550 is a pretty good middle ground.

Be sure to preheat everything for at least 30 minutes before you put the pie on.

AlmostDone121708.jpg
  • Big Papa
    Options
    Thanks Rod,

THat exactly what I was looking for.

Have a great Sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    That's the same setup I use but my pizza's are not that round and usually hang over the edge of the stone. We like them anyway :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i put the plate setter on legs up, then the grate. i use a screen, not a stone, but i'd put the stone on the grate if i used one
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    some have said that a platesetter legs-down can allow gasses to blast directly at the gasket level. don't know the truth of it. sounds plausible. but you and i may never know given that we are using kamikaze gaskets
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Options
    I can confirm that if you let it get hot enough then it will indeed direct flames and hot gas at the gaskets.

Setup1217108.jpg
  • Big Papa
    Options
    so your saying i may need to replace my gaskets after the pizza cook?
  • Fidel
    Options
    no - it only flames up like that if you leave the dome open for any period of time. keep dome down and you'll be fine.

but beware the risk is always there. If I recall that pie was cooked in the 700* range.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I do the same as Fidel. I am fairly new to egging, but I think I've done 10 pizzas in three weeks! I've not had any problem with this set-up; certainly no flames, but I've been cooking mine at about 425. Tonight, I'm trying two pizzas - stacked - with a rig I McGivered - IF IT WORKS :P I will post pics and explain... :)
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    One 550º pizza cook in the Small with the plate setter legs down was all it took to burn out the original felt gasket. Since then I've done a number of pizzas at 450º with a setup that doesn't direct the hot gasses directly at the gasket* and the replacement felt gasket is still in good condition.

* On the Small, I use a stainless pot lid down on the GrateMates ring to deflect the heat and have the 12" BGE pizza stone up in the dome on the tall GrateMates extenders. I do more or less the same thing with a Spider and Adjustable Rig in the Large.
  • DavidInDurham
    Options
    Okay, fellow eggers, this is my first post here. Pizza on the egg is one of my favorite things.

We use the platesetter, legs down, with the pizza stone on top. Let everything heat up for at least a half hour. I get best results at 500F.

I have tried pizzas directly on the platesetter with the legs down (e.g., without the pizza stone). For some reason the bottom of the pizza wasn't as crisp. I suspect the extra mass of the platesetter and pizza stone together had something to do with that.

When I first started doing pizzas, I had trouble getting the pizza from the peel onto the stone. Toppings would fall off the pizza, the dough would stretch, and so on. The best solution for that is to par-bake the pizza dough with no toppings for just a minute or two. Then pull the firmed-up dough off the stone, add your toppings, and slide everything back onto the stone. Many of you probably know that trick, but it's worth mentioning.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    If I do pizzas with bunch of veggies (moisture), I sometimes par-cook for a few minutes, it does give the crust a chance to firm. Otherwise, I've had really good luck putting corn meal on the peel, also some on the stone. Even a heavily loaded pizza will slide pretty well.
  • sebring96hbg
    Options
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Got my first Flashback on a pizza cook. Open lid slowly....
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    It never gets stuck. -RP