Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much rub to use?

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked babybacks this weekend. I put on a good coat of JJ's rub the night before with some mustard and, figuring more would be better, put on another coat the next day before putting the ribs on the grill. Too much rub. How much rub do you use?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JK,
    Normaly the salt content of the rub determines how much to use. Ribs are thin, and can easily be oversalted with too much of a salty rub. Ribs generally like a good dusting, but not thick and falling off like you would rub a butt or brisket. With most rubs you should still be able to see meat through the rub.[p]How were the ribs? If they tasted good, i'd say you used the right amount.
    Beers to you
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks. I used JJ's with no salt, so I took a chance, thinking more is better. Part of the problem may be that the last two babyback rib cooks were the best I'd ever had -- so the bar was set high. They tasted OK. Not bad. But not great either. Another problem was I was in a hurry and I took what the ribs they had available instead of trying another store. I was in a hurry. So the moral of the story is (a) moderate rub dusting, and (b) if you can't find good-looking ribs, cook something else. Live and learn!