Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the proper way to start charcoal?

Options
Julie
Julie Posts: 133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had trouble keeping the temperature elevated on my new large egg. I am using Barbeque Galore's Lump Charcoal. I fill the fire box up over the air holes and light the charcoal and wait until all of it is gray, then regulate the temperature down. When I open the egg and put the food in, the temperature drops and I cannot regain the temperature necessary to cook the food even when the vents are opened to the maximum. This is really a problem when cooking a pizza that only requires a short cooking time. Any suggestions? Should I not wait until all the lump is gray? Perhaps I am using up all the fuel before I even begin to cook.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Julie,[p]I always fill the firebox to the top, past the holes, but not into the firering. I've never waited for the lump to grey, but begin adjusting the vents as the temps come up. The temp will falsely read high while your starter cube is flaming, but should drop back down to the 100's as soon as that stops. Then, as the temp start coming up, I begin to close the vents until I reach a stable temp. It's much easier for me to ease into my target rather than trying to do it the other way and bring it back down. If you have nothing but grey coals when you start, sounds like you're using up your fuel before you even get started. I always have lump left that doesn't burn and can be reused on the next cook.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Julie,
    It sounds like you're used to briquettes. You have to
    let them ash over to burn off the chemicals that help
    them ignite. No such thing with lump, it's pure fuel
    so once it's burning you're ready to go. Make sure your
    firebox is aligned with the bottom vent and that the air
    holes aren't obstructed. With the top and bottom open
    you should get 700+ degrees in 10-15 minutes. Also, use
    lots of lump as it doesn't go to waste. You can burn it
    again next time.
    Chuck

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Now I realize I was using up all the fuel before getting started with the cooking. I couldn't understand why I had already used up 1/3 of a 20lb bag of charcoal in 2 nights without any left in the firebox.
  • Julie, It's always interesting to read postings on how to start your BGE...everyone seems to have a slightly different experience. I own a medium-size BGE, and I have found that, when starting the coals, I have to OVER-shoot my target temperature by about 100 degrees before I start shutting the top and bottom dampers. For example, if I want to cook at 250, I wait until the thermometer reads 350, then I close the dampers a bit, and the temperature coasts down to 250 and stabilizes there. This may have something to do with the way I light my charcoal...I always light it from underneath, using two of the white Weber charcoal starter cubes.

• Julie R
    Options
    Julie,
    Since you are just posting under Julie, it has been pulling up my information from the visitor's profile. Would you please e-mail me for the e-mail I received for you?[p]Thanks,
    Julie