Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

autolyse pizza dough

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This sounds like something to pursue but is getting a little confusing.Fidel posted this method.
http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=683399&catid=1&widthstyle=w-fluid
Then I found this on Google.
http://www.slashfood.com/2008/08/21/baking-terms-defined-autolyse/

It seems like there will be many variations on this method of prepping the dough.Any comments from someone that has tried this?Thanks.

Comments

• mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    As a commercial European hearth bread baker, I use the autolyse method regularly. It does make a huge difference, and there is not much simpler than that! You just mix your recipes flour and water together and let it sit a while. In the cooler overnight is the best, but at least a half hour at room temp will work. If you are going to be making dough on a regular basis, another great technique is to to reserve some of your last batch of dough, keep it in the cooler for up to 3 days and then incorporate it into your next batch. The texture and flavor will be the best you've had! This really only works if you are making dough on a regular basis though.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I can't comment much about autolyse, being a confused novice baker. So many terms, so many variables... I've tried it a few times, and it seems to aid the dough in firming up without so much kneeding.

So, let me add a second to Darnoc's post. Anyone who wants to offer a more extensive explanation, or a link to a pizza/bread forum, pleas do.

With a nod to Spring Chickem\n

signed

g "wish I had paid some attention when my mom made her bread" denby
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Interesting post, thanks for sharing. The info about the yeast inducing acidity makes sense.

Next time I will try it as instructed in this article and will let you know if I notice any difference in the end product.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Thank you so much for the tip.One more thing to be addressed.Fidel stated that he mixed all of the ingredients and the other one off of the net said to add the yeast,salt and the other half of the water and mix.
    Do you hold back the yeast etc.till the next day?
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    If you are trying to autolyse, it is just the flour and water you mix to let rest, then you add the rest of your ingredients. If you are just trying to develop a more complex flavor, then you can mix all of the ingredients and put the dough in a cool place for an extended period. If this is what you are after, you also want to remember to start with cold water to retard the yeast a little.
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    That's an interesting point about not mixing preferments in before the autolyse.

As I mentioned in the other thread you linked - for my bread, bagels and pizza dough I use a wild yeast levain which is a piece of 65% hydration dough saved from each batch of bread before the salt and other ingredients besides flour and water are added to the recipe. Like a sourdough it has an active culture of wild yeasts and lactobacilli in it but it does not make a sour bread.

Technically it is a preferment. I've always mixed this in before the autolyse - and I've gotten excellent results. I will try mixing it in after the autolyse next time and see if it really does make a difference in gluten development.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    The info about the yeast inducing acidity makes sense.
    It also answers my question as to why I smell vinegar when I get close to the oven (when baking bread indoors). Oddly, on my oven (GE Profile, I think) there are vents above the door and the vinegar smell seems to emit from the left side, while that great bread baking smell comes from the right side. I'm not using the convection oven either.