Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price Increase for BGE Lump

Options
The Ohio State Buckeye BBQ Guy
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just went to my local BGE dealer yesterday and the price of BGE Lump Charcoal jumped from $15.99 for a 20-pound bag to $24.99. Anyone else seen this spike in the price of lump?

Comments

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    It's been well over $20 here for as long as I can remember. Sorry to say, but you were getting a deal.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    The $15.99 seems pretty cheap and the $24.99 a little steep. It was $19.99 around here and jumped to $22. I don't usually buy BGE unless it's on sale. Too many other choices. Although the quality and consistency is usually really good with the BGE lump.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Someone in the BBQ industry recently told me that price increases were a result of the slow down in the housing industry therefore not as much scrap wood to make into charcoal. Go figure, makes sense to me.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    I sort of find that hard to believe considering the pictures that were recently posted by someone of the Royal Oak facility were of stacks of wood. Also, think about it, what do most construction sites do with their scrap? When they built my house the scooped it into a big pile and BURNED IT right there before they sodded.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    It is brutal here in Socal,Egg lump is 29$ a bag and their are not many choices.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    That is a big jump,

At my local BGE dealer in MD the price of BGE Lump is about a dollar more then WGC Lump. The owner told me she sell very little BGE Lump
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    we still have Royal Oak at wall mart for $6 for 10 pounds, but that's about it.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    MY LORD!!! You are in the range where ordering a pallet of something else is feasible!!!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The wood I was talking about is the by-product from the lumber mills, not the left over scraps on individual house sites. Fewer housing being built, fewer trees being processed.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    After reading this and lot of other posts about not being able to find lump, this reminds me a lot of something else. I wonder of there are barriers to getting into or staying in the charcoal industry? It is sort of like we don't have enough gasoline refineries so gas jumps in price. I just have to wonder if this isn't something similar???????????
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I saw that yesterday when shopping for a mini - which also was priced, in my mind, too high.

I still can get a 20# bad of Cowboy lump for 16 bucks and 10# of Royal Oak for 6 buck at Wal-mart
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Now THAT makes more sense. Just down the road from me in Perry they would have tons of that, but it would be pine.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    I asked my local harware dealer that handles Cowboy lump for a pallet rate and he only offered 10% off - not enough to move to suck up 30 to 40 bags (he couldn't tell how many bags on a pallet).
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    If I hadn't had over a hundred dollars in gift cards I wouldn't have bought my mini.

Lowe's and Home Depot are no longer going to carry Cowboy. I tried to get some at the Home Depot here before the 4th and they were out. I asked and was told that was the end of it, that they wouldn't be getting any more.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    They cut back on everything that doesn't move, when they surround lump with gas grills what do you think people will buy?
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    LOL!! I understand. Funny thing though was the guy at HD told me that Cowboy was the ONLY charcoal that they couldn't keep in stock, that they were always selling out of it!!!!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Interesting, I looked a Home Depot and like you they we're sold out - said they had a shipment coming in??

Looks like price increases are on their way and a smaller number of dealers. Sounds like a future road trip with a U-Haul to buy lump :( Forum members may need to form a co-op to buy and distribute lump :laugh: :laugh:
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Do you have an Ace hardware close by? They ship free to the store.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    That's not even funny!!! Look at my post on "what this reminds me of". If some artificial barrier is being put in our way the price could really get crazy.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Nothing closer that 20 miles. My local turn-of-the-century harware store still has Cowboy and they said they are doing a good business selling it. Gona cross my fingers and hope for long run of Cowboy in Purcellville :unsure:
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Here are a couple of the pictures you were refering to from RO for those that missed them. Note that the lumber used for charcoal is the 1st cut or 'slab' from from a log that will be made into lumber. Years ago when we drove by this place you could see the smoke for miles. Now you can see there is no smoke to be seen, note the piping above the burning ovens to gather and clean the smoke from the air. I'm sure enviromental regs have been put in place so that they have to keep the air clean. There are probably many things adding to the increase in price. Transportation costs are probably adding quit a bit to the costs also. Mike

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

DSC01014.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ya sure couldn't do that around here. :ohmy:

Sounds fun though :woohoo:
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Thanks Mike, I knew they were here somewhere but heck if I knew who put them up here!!! I'm only 54 and I'm beginning to look back to 20 years ago as the "good old days"!!!!
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Well, I know where you live. Looks like you need to hitch up the mules and run down to Front Royal or Manassas!!! :lol::lol:
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Ron, I know what you mean, I'm 56.

Seen it all, tried most of it, don't remember any of it. :laugh:
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    I'm gonna get on my high horse for a minute. Just that many years ago I could grill without the neighbors bitching that I was polluting the air. I could take a walk with my cigar in hand without someone raising hell and I could find a bar that didn't care if I walked in, cigar in hand, they liked the color of my money. Now EVERY $($&$*&$# thing is wrong and the do-gooders want to tell me what to eat, what to drink, what to smoke (in and out of my body) and now what the hell to drive!!!! I'm just sick of it. See my sig line!!
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    LOL!!! When everyone was building like mad the city fathers told them to quit sending their scraps to the landfill!!!
  • Long Legged Egger
    Options
    Sort of like gasoline. Why are they charging more? Because they can.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Guns, ammo, charcoal, what's next.. You 'sheeple' had better wake up in a hurry! And for those who think this is on the wrong forum, take a long walk on a short pier!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Don't forget Winchester, Mount Jackson, and all points south :laugh: :laugh: