Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs - HELP!

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All:[p]I picked up some beef ribs that were on sale a little while back and threw them in the freezer. It's now time to get them cooked up...[p]So now that I have them, how do I cook them? Times? Temps? Seasonings? I've never eaten them or cooked them, so haven't got a clue![p]Thanks,
QBabe
:~)[p]

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    These are the toughest things I've found to cook, Tonia. It seems to me that most of it has to do with the actual cut of rib. I've done short ribs that came out ok, beef spare ribs that were dry and terrible, and beef plate ribs that were worse than the spares. Walmart carries something called beef back ribs that came in a cryovac package. These came out the best and were mighty tasty. I cooked them indirect at ~275°. I thought they would take 5-6 hours at least, but they were done in 3 hours. Actually, I think I could have pulled them a half hour earlier. I certainly hope you have success and I'm looking forward to some pics![p]Jim
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I put some info up on my website on how I did mine (yes, there are pics, too...) ;)[p]Rich G.
    [ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Ooops, try this link
    [ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    1done!.jpg
    <p />QBabe,[p]I've tried beef ribs several times, and I find it's hard to get them right. They can look great going on the grill, but when they come off sometimes they can be less than tender and juicy.[p]Here are my lessons learned (applies to ribs that are already cut separately)
    * cook indirect, temp 300 - 350
    * water in the drip pan
    * cook time 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours
    * rub ( I use Elder Ward's )
    * wrap in foil right off the grill[p]I'm going to follow these steps next time, and I anticipate perfect results![p]Let us know what you did and how they turned out.[p]chuckls

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    QBabe,
    I'll try to remember to look, but if you don't see me post, email me a reminder. I've got the Hugh Carpenter rib book and I know there are some recipes for beef ribs in there. I'll see if he has any comments on beef ribs vs. pork.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Beef ribs can be greasy and are definitely fatty. I like to marinate overnight in pineapple juice and then cook direct in a rib rack (or stand them in a v-rack) using 250°F dome temp for 6-8 hours. The grill temp (meat level) hovered around 225°F for the entire cook. I flipped/moved as necessary for an even cook.[p]I didn't use a rub, but beef ribs can support a stronger flavored one if you so choose. I did use a store bought dipping sauce (don't remember which one).[p]Good luck with them. They are a nice change of pace.[p]Spin
  • GRILLEMARK
    Options
    QBabe,
    I just pulled beef ribs off the grille, 8 lbs. at 275 for 5 hours. Used my own rub overnight and cooked 5 hours at 275 and then turned down to 225 and slathered some sauce for 45 min to get it all ooooooy gooooooooyyy and they are great.

• GRILLEMARK
    Options
    QBabe,
    I just pulled beef ribs off the grille, 8 lbs. at 275 for 5 hours. Used my own rub overnight and cooked 5 hours at 275 and then turned down to 225 and slathered some sauce for 45 min to get it all ooooooy gooooooooyyy and they are great. Do use water in the drip pan they got a little dry around the edge.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    chuckls,
    Those look like short ribs and should be relatively easy done lo-n-slo. There's a lot of fat there. We cook ours like pork ribs; takes 4-5 hours. Enjoy.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    QBabe,
    According to Hugh Carpenter:[p]Beef back ribs: Taste best smoked, grilled, or roasted. Because they have so little meat, they are not as good as pork ribs when braised.[p]Beef short ribs: For the meat to be tender, beef short ribs require hours of smoking or braising over very low heat. If you try to speed the cooking process by choosing grilling or roasting, the meat will be tough. Before cooking always trim off all exterior fat.[p]His general guideline is 3 hours for smoking beef ribs and 4-5 hours for short ribs.[p]Here is a tasty looking recipe:[p]Crushed peppercorn and orange glazed ribs[p]Remove membrane.[p]Grind 1/2 Tbs each of red, white, black and green peppercorns in a spice grinder to powder. Coat surface of meat with ground pepper.[p]Mix 1 Tbs minced orange zest, 1/2 C of freshly squeezed O.J., 1/2 C hoisin sauce, 1/4 C wine vinegar, 5 cloves of finely minced garlic, 1/4 C finely minced green onions (white and green parts), 1/4 C finely minced cilantro. Spread on meat and allow to marinate 15 minutes up to 8 hours.[p]Smoke 3 hours at 200-220, occasionally baste with extra glaze until the last 15 minutes.[p]
    TNW[p]

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Yeah, they look like they'd be tough...we'll see and I'll definately report back.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    Options
    Rich G,[p]Thanks for the link. Nice compilation![p]QBabe

• QBabe
    Options
    chuckls,[p]Those look a bit different than the ones I got. Mine look more like pork spares...[p]Thanks for the suggestions.[p]QBabe

• QBabe
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks very much. That marinade/glaze does look pretty good. And I like the idea of the orange and the beef.[p]I'll make sure I post a pic of the results...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks! That's just the kind of information I was looking for.[p]Will you be at Eggtoberfest this year?[p]QBabe

• QBabe
    Options
    grillemark,[p]Thanks for the info. Sounds great![p]Tonia

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    QBabe,[p]At this point no, but hopefully things will come around and allow the possibility. Fingers (and toes) are crossed.[p]Spin
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    QBabe,
    One of my favorite dishes at a local chinese place is orange beef volcano. The beef has been fried to make a crust on the outside and then it is flambe'd with orange sauce. So, I think the orange will be great on those ribs.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    default.jsp
    <p />QBabe,
    I always failed at them.... until I read The Smoke Ring's instructions.[p]Try this[p]

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    QBabe,
    Sorry, try this....[p]thesmokering.com[p]or...[p]http://www.thesmokering.com/BeefRibs/default.jsp

Apollo Beach, FL
  • QBabe
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Thanks...looks like I have a nice slow cook to do (my favorite). But, just to be on the safe side, since they seem to be hit and miss, I'll throw some butts on as well so I'm sure to have something good. And, if by the grace of the egg gods I end up doing the beef ribs well, then we'll just have a feast![p]Looking forward to meeting you, Michelle and your friends at the Florida Q-Fest. Are your friends named Easter? There are several who've registered that I don't recognize the names and I thought they might be your camping buddies. [p]Tonia