Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Condensation in Dome Thermometer

KnaufKnauf Posts: 337
edited 10:04AM in EggHead Forum
With the rain and humidity I have a good amount of moisture inside the gauge. Didn't get any last summer. Any ideas how to dry/get it out? Does this affect accuracy of the unit?

• hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Same thing happened to me . The condensation went away after a few days. It still works. No problems. You should be o.k.!
  • I put mine in the oven and run up to about 450 and let it stay till it was dry, no issues a little came back but at least I can read it now.
  • Grand Oeuf VertGrand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,628
    I have the same issue. I agree with HHonk. Seems to be drying up slowly. It's working fine.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597

the business end is down in the tip....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    i had a tell tru that was cracked and had water in it (half full). i just put it in the egg after a lo-and-slo and the egg had cooled. careful at 450. there's probably a rubber or silicon gasket in there somewhere
  • I was having the same problem until I drilled the hole as illustrated. Haven't had the problem in the past year on either egg.

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Nice sketch, and to the point.
  • Ditto
  • This is safe on both types of thermometer? Both the original BGE and the TruTel? That is one of those pictures that starting the whole 1000 words thing.

• tbonemactbonemac Posts: 69
    I had the same problem. Drilled the hole as shown and has been fine and holding the right temperature. Be careful, just before the drill goes thru, slow it down so that you do not punch thru to hard. Mine did go thru to hard and fast and I pushed the gasket out a little. Does not hurt anything, you can just see it thru the glass.
    i drew that pic a couple years ago after typing it out so many times.....

as for safety. who knows? they tell me the tel trus don't leak.

my bge thermo is five years old, bent, and had a hole drilled in it for four years. i don't know how much better a tel-tru is than that
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,495

It's funny, I have now owned ten eggs and never had the issue except in my medium.

Caledon, ON