Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What grinder for cast iron handles?

Jersey DougJersey Doug Posts: 460
edited 9:58PM in EggHead Forum
I'd like to cut the handles off some extra cast iron skillets and griddles I have sitting around. What kind of grinder should I be looking at? (I don't have an air compressor.) If it makes a difference, I also want to remove some material from the inside of the Mini DFMT to get it to fit better.

Comments

• RVHRVH Posts: 523
    A hacksaw and about two minutes is all it takes :)
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,946
    yup...do it by hand and then clean up with a bench grinder.
    IMG_1641.jpg
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    clean up looks like this:
    IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Here's another project where I used a sabre saw with metal cutting blades. Cast iron is actually a soft metal and easy to cut.

IMG_1670.jpg
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • TXTrikerTXTriker Posts: 1,177
    You keep your old handles? Was I supposed to keep mine or send them to you? LOL.
    just an old habit I guess like notches on my gun...until my handle fell off... :S
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08119a.jpg

Ron,

Here are two from my collection, the griddle on the bottom is 117 +/- years old. Notice the wire bail.... Makes for real easy lifting on and off.

I like your handle collection. Most times, I'm pretty free wheelin' with a grinder. welding22.gif I love mods.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery