Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat Deflector for GrateMates

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just discovered that the 8-1/2" pizza stones that some here are using in the Mini also fit nicely in the GrateMates ring. I'll give it a try the next time I do an indirect cook in the Small.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I've been using them for a few years...and they've held up well!!

You can use many things to deflect/radiate heat in an Egg...(it doesnt have to be ceramic,contrary to the popular myth) but when you want to use a material that will divert and then radiate some of that heat...those stones work great!!

Lodge makes a Cast Iron plate that also works wonderfully as well...(and you can use it for blackening too)!!

Have a great 4'th Doug!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Evans, I took 2 fire bricks (the 1/2 thickness, not the full brick) and JB Welded them together, side by side. It makes the dimensions 8x8 with the 4 corners just resting on the fire ring. Wrapped it in heavy duty foil. Works great!

Hey Doug! Whereabouts in Jersey are you from. I'm up north a few miles west of the GWB.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    DryFly, We're just outside of Red Bank at the north end of the Jersey Shore.