Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza screen ... use!

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend went by a restaurant supply store and picked up a 16 inch pizza screen for me. Do I just role (toss) the dough, place it in the screen, add sauce, cheese, etc? Should I still use a pizza stone (screen on top of the stone)? HELP![p]Smokey

Comments

• EggCamper
    Options
    Smokey ,
    I got one from papa johns a while back. Although I dont think its supposed to come with my pizza! :) [p]But I never found any use for it. The pizza stone works well.[p]Tom

• Smokey
    Options
    EggCamper,[p]
    My understanding is that with the screen, you don't have to use corn meal (which is bitter when it burns) to prevent sticking. Don't really know. I suspect someone here knows a whole bunch!!

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Smokey ,
    Never used a screen myself on the egg. Saw one at the supply place and pondered getting one, but passed it up. I beleive the pics I have seen show it on top of the stone. So your setup would be...platesetter, stone, screen. I think you also have it correct that you just assemble your pizza on the screen then put it on the egg when everything is to desired temp.
    ~nikki

• bigmikej
    Options
    Smokey ,
    Though I have never used them for pizza, I have 18" & 16" screens that I use for cooking things like ABT's that you want the direct heat & smoke on with the ease of mobility. As cheap as they are, you could find may uses for them. One caution though: Spray with pam before doing ABT's, that melted cheese is tought to get off. I had to use my MAPP torch!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Here's a pic of our setup...[p]pizza-with-fire.jpg[p]The breakdown is plate setter (legs down), pizza stone, then screen with pizza on top.[p]Larry has used them for about 20 years now and the pizza's he creates are wonderful![p]Looking forward to seeing you at Eggtoberfest...
    Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]Good advice (pam)! Yah, they are cheep. My friend actually bought the 16 and 18 inch ones for me and said I owed him $6.
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Smokey ,[p]Get a couple more and use them to make jerky, ABTs, etc. Anything that is smaller and you can use multiple levels of screens for more space. Use wood blocks as spacers for low-temp cooks, or use empty tuna cans, etc.....[p]Rich G.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smokey ,
    Yes, you still use the stone. You still want the stone as a ceramic barrier and as a source of heat to give the pizza dough some extra push when you put the pizza into the egg. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Smokey
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Good lookin' pizza!
  • Mr. Hyde
    Options
    Smokey ,[p]As Tonia stated, I use them all the time. Yes, you make the pizza on the screen, then put the screen on the pizza stone. I always preheat the stone to 550. If it looks like the top of the pie is cooking faster than the bottom, you can pull the pizza off of the screen and put it directly onto the stone to brown it a little.[p]Before you use the screen for the first time, saturate it with some oil and heat it for a few minutes to season it. When you are done with it DONT WASH it. If there is stuff stuck to it, burn and scrape that stuff off, and put it away.[p]