Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Rib Question

Options
porterhouse64
porterhouse64 Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is my understanding that to officially qualify as 'baby back' that the rack must be under 1.75 pounds.

Is this true?

Our local Wal-Mart just got in a huge load of Smithfield "baby backs" that are about 3 pounds per slab.

How much longer do these need to cook assuming a 225 grate temp compared to regular "baby back" ribs?

Comments

• Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Options
    I don't know tournament regulations, but baby back ribs are just a different cut off of the ribs of a pig, they are the closes to the spine and spares are lower on the ribs of the pig.

But there are several expert tournament bbq'ers on the forum that may know more.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Maybe in some folks eyes the weight makes a difference, and so they would specify "2 and down" or "1-3/4 and down". They are sure easier to cook if you have all your racks the same weight. and ribs from younger pigs will sure be more tender and easier to cook.

The official definition of loin back ribs is:

The back ribs shall consist of at least eight ribs and related intercostal meat from a bone-in pork loin. The back ribs section shall be intact, and the bodies of the thoracic vertebrae shall be removed except that small portions of the vertebrae may remain between the rib ends. When specified, the skin (peritoneum) shall be removed from the inside surface of the ribs and intercoastal meat.

My logic is, if you know how to cook them, don't fret over weight, just buy nice ones..... These loin back ribs were actually too long to fit on my LBGE, and I had to cut an end off. They came out fine.

DSC06083JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • CITYSWINE
    CITYSWINE Posts: 48
    Options
    you sure the it's only one slab in the package? I ask because the ones from my local costco are 3 racks per cryovac package.
  • CITYSWINE
    CITYSWINE Posts: 48
    Options
    you sure the it's only one slab in the package? I ask because the ones from my local costco are 3 racks per cryovac package.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    3 & unders,don't look back! :)
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    They just came from larger hogs. The 3-5 lbs spare ribs yeild smaller baby backs the larger 5 lbs and up spare ribs have larger baby backs.
    Not much differance taste wise will take longer to cook but not a lot.
    E