Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on Prime Rib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on cooking a prime rib for a special dinner for parents. Indirect the way to go?? I have notice that several recipes for the oven suggest roasting at 450 then reducing to 350 until done. Anyone tried this method on the egg?

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Cindy, See my response to sparkey. I didn't use the 450 start or the browning of the sides probably because I assured the roast was at room temp by putting it in the microwave (GASP!) at its lowest setting (my microwave's lowest setting is REAL low.) Yes I was concerned this would mess it up, but it didn't. I egged it at 350 in a pan, indirect on a platesetter. Cooked to 130 which continued to 141 during rest. Eveyone loved it.

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Cindy,[p]I've done rib roast at 325* indirect with a plate setter on the grill grate to an internal temp of 135*. Excellent results.
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Cindy,
    I like cooking at the high temp in the beginning (oven or egg) it seems to crisp up the outside so much nicer. I do it all the time and it works for me. I started doing this with my "hurry" mentality....same with microwaving chicken before grilling (did I admit that?)[p]In the egg, it's EZ. Get things happy at 450 (15 minutes or so), and just shut down until the temp drops to your desired temp. You can keep an eye on the roast through the top vent during the first 15 minutes that you are starting the process in case there's trouble (watch the steam/heat coming out) This probably isn't a very safe process, (looking into the vent) but it's possible.[p]Good luck! Nothing like a good home project.[p]Mike in MN