Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best ribs yet

Options
Kokeman
Kokeman Posts: 822
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been craving ribs for a couple weeks now. For the last week we have been down seeing the wallet draining mouse in Orlando. We went down with the whole family for my moms 60th and nobody else would go for BBQ.

Anyway when I walked in the door last night I went to the freezer and got out some Baby backs. I have always foiled with apple juice. The last time I made them I just did them indirect for 5 hours, they came out dry. My temp did raise over 300 at one point.

This time I started my egg a hour and a half before I put the ribs on. Had it stabilize at 225 and it never got over 235 during the cook. I cooked for 5 hours. Sauced with Sweet Baby Rays for 20 mins. They came out great, very tender and not dry. Best of all they were not mushy like with foiling. They were worth the wait. Sorry no pics the kids were to hungry.

Comments

• porterhouse64
    Options
    I have also abandoned foiling the ribs.

It seems to be a unnecessary extra set that gives an undesired texture to the ribs.

I do the following

yellow mustard and a rub

2 hours meat side up
    flip
    1 hour meat side down
    flip
    spritz every 30 minutes (50/50 apple juice and apple cider vinegar)

I am trying to find the "sweet spot" on time and temp

Thus far:
    4 hours @ 275 grate; good bark but a little dry

Experiments will continue at 250, 225, 200 degrees