Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How thick should the Slate be for Under the BGE?

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am building the table on the NAked Wizz sight but need to know how thick the Slate Tile should be for the peice that will be under the Egg?

It is for a LArge.

I dont see a thickness in the plans anywhere.

thanks for your help

Also do you Weatherproof the table ot polyurythane it? i

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    do you plan on using the small green feet? They add an air layer that greatly helps dissipate heat (but also adds height.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    at least an inch for natural slate so it does not crack thicker is better and remember you still need the little green egg feet even with the stone
    bill
  • Lumpy
    Lumpy Posts: 7
    Options
    Big Papa,
    I used 2.5" fire brick for my table, plus the ceramic feet. After every cookout, I touch the fire brick to see if any heat was absorbed. So far, it has been cool to the touch when the cooker was at 350F - 400F for several hours.

I hope this helps.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You will probably only be able to find slate that is roughly 3/4" to 1" thick. Whatever you find will probably have to do. FWIW, you can expect it to crack. I've had every piece I've used (3 so far, I think) crack, so after this last one, I've just continued using the cracked piece. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I use 16" square concrete pavers instead of slate. Maybe not as pretty, but certainly more durable and thicker.

I just got done refinishing my table. I put on 6-7 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane to protect the surface. Last time I only did 3 coats and it only lasted about 2 years before the table top was peeling, discolored, and nasty.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Corey,

I put a concrete paver (from Lowes) under my eggs with the little green feet on that. I was paranoid about embers, so I had some sheets of thin stainless stapled over the wood under the pavers. Mine is not a table, but an outdoor kitchen next to the house. Eggs sit on platforms.
    DSC_0449.jpg
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    USE the FEET. Air gap more important than thickness.

Spacey
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As the Whiz said, slate WILL crack.
    use the feet and go with a concrete paver or a stone that's at least 1.1/4" thick.
    stonecrack-1.jpg