Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am having temp troubles with my egg

Options
Rosco B
Rosco B Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first post and I just borrowed a medium size Egg from my buddy to try. He just upgraded to a large egg so he had an extra egg just sitting there. I am having trouble getting the egg to put out very much heat. If I leave the top and bottom air vents totally open the hottest I can get it to is 350 degrees. Everyone says that if you leave everything open you should be well into the 600 degree mark in a little while. I am going to take all of the lump wood out of the bottom tonight and see if there are any air holes that are plugged that would keep it from getting a good draft. Any other suggestions? Does that seem normal to only have 350 degrees with everything open?

Also is there a way to calibrate the thermometer? Mine appears to be off. The one in the egg says 280 and if I stick one in through the top of the egg that one says 350. I would guess that it might be a little hotter at the top but I don't think it should be that far off. Am I wrong or not? Should the temp in the egg be pretty even all around? I picked up a oven thermometer to put on the grate to check the temp that way so I can know for sure how hot it is. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

One last thing have you noticed that different brands of lump wood put out different heat? Or do the brands just effect time, ash production etc.?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Take the top daisy wheel off comletely until you get to your temp, then fine tune the air to stay steady. Let it stabblize for bit before cooking. Also let the white smoke disperce before putting food on. The smoke will turn blueish/clear when it's ready.

Dome temp will be 25+/- degrees hotter than the grate temp.

Calibrate the dome thermometer in boiling water (212*) just turn the nut on the back to read 212 if it's off.

Why did he just leave you hangin?
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Congrats on the use of the egg, use it for a while and you will love it I assure you.

For heat, make sure the opening in the firebox is pointed at the vent and that the holes in the grate are clear.

You'll find every thing you wanted to know about charcoal and more here

Doug
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    I’ll give this one a shot since I’m here. My guess it an air flow issue either caused by your egg or the lump. Pull the egg apart and clear all old ash. If it looks mostly clear you may have a bag of bad lump… it happens on occasions. If the lump is small pieces, or crushed, or dust, or all of the above the air went flow thought it and your fire just won’t get that hot. Get some air through there and you’ll get all the heat you could ever need… just don’t go to the other extreme and nuke your gasket. Good luck.

+ what the guys said above :)
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    F it's smoking pretty good chances are the grate is clogged. Take a coat hanger and straighten it out put a 2" bend at the end and go thru the bottom vent, there are holes in the grate where the lump sits, stick the coat hanger in each of the holes and clear them.

Did your buddy give you any instructions and did he warn you about flash backs?
  • Rosco B
    Rosco B Posts: 4
    Options
    Well I think I found the problem with my egg. It appeared to be clogged and not getting any air flow. I took all the lump out and cleared out the grate and the holes and I was able to get the egg up to 450 then I shut it down and maintained it around 300-350. I was trying to play with the temps I think I am getting the hang of it somewhat.