Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Grinning Chicken Recipe--from Pocono EggFest

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wicked Grinning Chicken[p]1 whole chicken, (about 6 lb) backbone removed and flattened[p]Marinade:
1/3 C chopped Craisins (dried cranberries)
2 or 3 big, fat garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1 T fresh ginger root, shredded or finely chopped
2 T Ken Stone’s Wicked Grin rub, plus more to coat
1/4 C peanut oil (add more if needed)[p]Finishing sauce:
1/2 C canned cranberry sauce
1 T fresh ginger root, shredded or finely chopped
1 T Sambal Oelek (preserved hot chilis) or to taste (I use a lot more!)
2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
1 T maple syrup
1 T hoisin sauce[p]Directions:
Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
With your fingers, work the skin away from the meat. Be careful not to tear the skin.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Work all of this mixture under the skin. With the dregs left in the bowl, coat the skin and sprinkle with more Wicked Grin rub. I only marinate it for the time it takes to heat up the Egg; I suppose leaving it overnight in the fridge would intensify the flavor but if you do this, wait until just before grilling to sprinkle on the additional rub.[p]Preheat the Egg to around 325-350, and keep it at this temperature throughout the cook.
Lay the chicken, cut side down, on an elevated grid. I don’t use a drip pan, and I don’t flip the bird during the cook.[p]While the chicken’s roasting, make the finishing sauce by melting the cranberry sauce in the microwave (or on the stove) and stir in the remaining ingredients. Add the hot pepper to taste. (Sambal Oelek in jars is available in Oriental markets; it’s very similar to the Chinese chili paste, so you can substitute) and adjust the seasoning.[p]Check the internal temperature of the meat with a Polder or instant read thermometer. When the thigh meat’s about 160, divide the finishing sauce in half (save half for the table) and brush a liberal amount onto the bird. When the thigh meat reaches about 180, I give it another brush with the glaze, shut the Egg dome and damper and let it sit for 15-20 min. With the air source shut off, the bird won’t dry out. [p]Remove the chicken, let it rest on a carving board for another 10 minutes or so, and carve it up. The remaining finishing sauce should be drizzled over the meat, or served on the side for dipping.[p]

Comments