Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Set-Up

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gentlemen, I need some help. After 6 attempts I have not been able to get my dome temperature above 450F. Any advice as to what the bottom vent and top daisy wheel set-up should to reach high temperatures. I have calibrated the thermometer, and I have tried using a fan to blow air into the bottom vent.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Scott,
    The bottom vent should be wide open and the top vent should be removed. If you can't reach high temps, you either don't have enough fuel or enough air. Make sure that you have lump above the holes in the firebox. Make sure the opening in the bottom ring of the firebox is lined up with the lower vent. Make sure you don't use lump that is all chips and dust (which will prevent air from flowing up through the fire). Make sure that ash isn't blocking any of the holes in the fire box or grate. You may wish to read my FAQ. See question 5:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    Scott, also make sure the bottom vent is facing into the wind. If no wind, a "pancake" motor from a discarded computer hooked to a car battery, blowing into the lower vent will send the temp WAY up (be careful with this!)