Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Air conditioning Question & help

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have this air conditioner unit that vents through the window but sets on the floor. The digital read out says E 1 and it will not come on. Anyone have an idea as to what the readout means? Could anybody suggest how to fix this thing. It's getting hot and humid here in Southern Illinois. Thanks, Tom

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Google the manufacturer and the error code, may even need the model #....error codes are not a standardized thing from one to the next..Is it new?????
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    My home heating system has similarly friendly error codes. I got on the manufacturer's web site, found the owner's manual and service manual, and figured out what the codes meant. You may want to try that.

-John
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Not trying to be rude here, but there are a whole bunch of A/C manufacturers. With the info you gave us we would not know where to start.

However, check the filter. Make sure it's not frozen and finally consult the manual that came with it.
  • BajaTom
    Options
    No it's about 3 years old. It's not worth fixing if it cost over $100. The maker is out of business. Thanks for the response. Tom
  • BajaTom
    Options
    Sorry man that's about all I got. I can't find the operating manual and the maker is out of business. Thanks for the response. Tom
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    On many electronically controlled devices a code beginning with E is an error code. Check the documentation that came with the unit to see if the codes are listed. The the next thing I would do if I didn't have the manual, or if I had the manual and the codes were not listed would be to look it up on the Internet. The last resort would be to contact the importer - I'm assuming that it's not built in the US.
  • BajaTom
    Options
    I bought it at Wally world about 3 years ago. I can't find the manual and the maker is defunct. Thanks for the response. Tom
  • BajaTom
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I can't find the manual. Tom
  • BajaTom
    Options
    I just found the manual and it says the error message is the sensor on the evaporator has malfunctioned. The solution is to contact customer service. Well I guess I'm s--t out of luck. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    It might be worth checking the sensor out, there are many different manufacturers but they often use common parts. The part may very well be replacable and cheap.

Doug
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If it's been running non-stop I bet the evaporator is frozen.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I can almost guarantee it will be more than $100 to fix. No specific info on this thing but in general.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    we bought a high end dishwasher. stainless guts, adjustable everything, all sorts of settings, etc. all that jazz

after a few years, we neede to have it serviced. guy said it was 300 to fix it (a 900 dollar dishwasher). he said that if we signed up for 129 a year, it would be covered. we did it for three years, because the thing broke the same way every year. "saved" us money to have the plan.

well, i finally got sick of it and it got kicked to the curb. wife bought a cheap 300 dollar replacement. if it last 2 years, we can throw it out and get another. hahaha

my point? you're probably right. things today cost more to fix than to replace sometimes.

i'm betting that E1 is a common error. I'd be nervous if it said "E-35a, E-37b, and E-88". hahaha

"E1" probably means a button is stuck or something. try running it with the remote. or maybe it's a case of the waterline being blocked/full. something simple.

i'd google the hell out of it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that sucketh...

i was hoping E1 was "change the filter"

"your unit is toast" should be something like E-99!!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante