Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

veggies help

ReeltachyReeltachy Posts: 54
edited 1:50AM in EggHead Forum
Prepareing some grouper for the egg but needed some side. Thinking of small red potatoes and vidalia onions. I will use some EVO on the potatoes and place on grill for 30 minutes. The vidalias I am planning on peeling cutting in half and direct for 39 minutes too. Does this sound about right?

I know the grouper will not take long so I should start the veggies first. Thanks,

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    sounds about right to me although i would take that onion wrap it in foil add a boillion cube and some butter wrap tightly and throw it in the egg at about 350. move it around so it doesn't burn and pull it off when it is soft ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• GunnarGunnar Posts: 2,305
    If you have some cast iron for the grill, these make a very good side. I use a spatula to flatten and then some garlic butter on them.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,508
    I did fish last night and was wondering the same thing. Felt creative, so I diced up a couple apples, sliced a big vidalia onion. Put the onion in the pan in a little oil then added sugar (actually I used pineapple head) and a pinch of salt. Caramelized the onions a little, then added the apple and some more pineapple head. Browned the apples quickly, then added some craisins (dried sweetened cranberries) and cooked a little more until they were softened. It was actually better than I expected and I have no idea why I decided to mix onion and apple. But dang. Was perfect with the fish.

Your potato idea sounds purty good too.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ReeltachyReeltachy Posts: 54
    That sounds good. Just core it out a bit and add butter and boulion
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    i just take the top and bottom of it off..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Those look great! Will deffinetly try those!
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,508
    That looks like a winner. Thanks!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Crash hot potatoes are great in the egg even if you do them in a pan rather than straight on the grill. Unquestionably my favorite potato preparation.

Doug
    Thanks for the help> Everything came out f=great and the misses is Sooooo Happpppy! Definetly a keeper. wish I took pics but I will next cook.