Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Practice

Options
Pakak
Pakak Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I just got through eating dinner. FINALLY I got a brisket that was edible! Here are the things I did differently:[p] As I stated in the previous thread, I was able to find a FRESH brisket even if all the fat was trimmed. Note that this was probably just a flat (if I’m understanding the terms correctly) not a full brisket. Weight was just over 4 lbs.
 I basically used Car Wash Mike’s method:
o applied the rub and a bunch of sugar to the brisket last night and refrigerated
o I smoked (using hickory chips) and cooked at 250º for 4 hours. There was only a fairly light crust at this point, which worried me somewhat
o because it had no fat cap, I placed salt pork on top of the meat then two sliced onions on top of the salt pork
o made a double-wrapped foil package containing everything
 I then cooked the brisket, onions and salt pork for another 7 hours at 250º
 About 1 ½ hours before I pulled it, I checked the internal temperature of the meat, which was about 190º. The probe didn’t go in as easily as I expected, so I left it in that extra 1 ½ hours.[p]This turned out extremely tender, easily pulled if that’s what I wanted. I sliced it though, with a little difficulty.[p]Thanks also to all those who maintained I needed the 190º temperature. I was concerned about it being completely dried out, but with the salt pork/onions foil pack there was no concern. No, it doesn’t have a crispy exterior, but I’ll take edible![p](Dunno if this will format, but I guess I'll find out.)

Comments

• Pakak
    Options
    BTW - I wanted to say I think I prefer using the salt pork to having a fat cap. It adds a little more flavor. The kind I happened to pick up was Hormel and was presliced, just like bacon. I put the whole package of salt pork in the foilpack.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pakak,
    from experience, my brisket comes out much more tender when taken out the smoker at internal temp of 205, foiled and let sit for an hour. feels good to finally eat something good huh.

• Pakak
    Options
    Truthfully, I don't know what the internal temperature was when I took it out. I only know it was 190º about an hour and a half before I took it out. The probe didn't slide in or out as easily as I thought it should, so I left it on longer.[p]I didn't let it set because, well, we were too impatient. LOL Also, I'd let it cook longer than what I recall reading ... 11 hours for 4 3/4 lbs (I checked the weight. I said about 4 lbs in another post) which is about 2 hours and 20 minutes per pund. I thought this should be plenty, if I was undercooking previously.[p]Now, I just have to duplicate my efforts. LOL
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pakak,
    I live in upstate NY where one cannot just go to the store and find brisket other than the 4 pound totally trimmed flat. I called around and found a butcher that was willing to order exactly what I wanted. Choice, packer trimmed cryovaced brisket. I bought 4 of them, all 10-12 pounds) and am cooking one now with the other 3 in the freezer. In the cryovac packing I assume they will keep frozen indefinitely.
    The brisket appears to have all the attributes that folks talk about, 1/2 inch fat cap, nice striations, flexible (although that was hard to tell until I took it out of the package). I am cooking it low and slow, no foil right now. It has been on 10 hours, temp up to 150 and looks beautiful. I will report how it is after dinner tonite.
    My guess is that with the right starting piece of meat, it should be great as long as I don't let the cooker temp get too high. Cross your fingers.