Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tips for Bread Baking

BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
edited 3:22AM in EggHead Forum
I wish I could post pictures... but -- Here goes --

:) Make sure your Egg is clean -- Hi burn, clean it, cool it, then start again
:) Stabilize the temp @ 400F. Don't let the temp get hotter than that.
:) Yes -- You can bake right on the pizza stone, suspended [I use legs] over the plate setter, so you have the bottom of the pizza stone protected from the direct heat of the coals
:) Discover what is known as a "cloche" You'll probably want a round one
:) Use high-hydration. This means that you're going to have a wet, sloppy [loose] dough, much gooey-er and sticky-er than what you might expect to use.
:) Google and learn the "stretch and fold" technique, rather than the traditional knead and punch down technique. You'll do four stretch-and-folds in the first hour [every fifteen minutes]. This only takes two minutes, repeated four times
:) Put the dough in lightly oiled bowls [measured out for loaves] in the fridge for two days. Be sure to cover the bowls [not the dough] with Saran or other wrap.
:) On the day of your bake, shape the dough and let it rise 2 - 3 hours. Lightly oil the dough, and put Saran wrap right on top of the oiled dough.
:) Pre-heat your Egg/oven/cloche for 40 minutes prior to bake.
:) 30 minutes before bake, remove the Saran wrap from the loaves
:) Just before commiting your creation to the flame, score lengthwise, about 3/8" deep. Long cuts are better than short ones, as the scoring is less about making the finished bread "pretty" than it is allowing what's called "oven rise."
:) Using a cloche with greatly increase the texture, taste [yada-yada] of the crust.
:) Bake to 200F internal... yes, use your instant thermometers, and stick them babes from the bottoms or ends, not the top.
:) Like roasts, steaks -- Breads need to "rest" before slicing. Ther guts of the loaf are still baking during the cooling process. Wait 40 minutes before slicing.
:) Want added flavor? Immediatly upon removing the bread from the Egg/oven/cloche, paint the surface with butter... No! Not margarine, silly! That stuff's just one molecule from being plastic!
:woohoo: Butter!

Anyone want specific information about recipes, etc., let me know via email.
B) Simple French Bread -- Great way to start
;) Honey whole wheat [with a tad of rye]
:laugh: Jewish Challah Bread [my fav! This is a braided bread, and takes a large or XL Egg -- and a large pizza stone. Since all I have is a Medium Egg, I have to bake my Challah inside on cookie sheets.

broc4brockway at yahoo dot com

Comments

• WoodbutcherWoodbutcher Posts: 1,004
    Good info Broc, thanks for the post.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

He lives!!

What's excuse are you using for not posting pictures.

Kent
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    i am with kent what is your excuse for not posting pictures

DSCN0602.jpg

Bread, No Knead Brock from just across.........

OK -- Here goes! This is a no-knead recipe. Very little "hands-on" time... maybe a total of ten minutes handling ingredients.

1 Simply dump into a bowl and quickly mix together
    2 > 3 Cups all purpose flour
    3 > 1/2 tsp yeast
    4 > 1-1/2 tsp salt [I use sea salt]
    5 Then just dump in 1-1/2 cups of good tasting water
    6 > In about 20 - 30 seconds, just squish the water into the flour... don't worry about "under mixing." It will hydrate on its own.
    7 Cover with plastic, and let sit on the counter 12+ hours.
    8 < The longer it sits, the more taste it will develop
    9 The next day ---
    10 Flop the gooey mess onto a well floured countertop.
    11 >It will be really sticky, and will seem like it is too wet. It isn't!
    12 >Use flour liberally on your hands, and "powder" the dough as needed so you don't end up wearing it!
    13 Tri-fold the mess as best you can just twice!
    14 < Work the dough a bit with your fingers to de-gas the biggest bubbles. Unlike traditional bread making, don't overwork this section. You can do this in maybe 15 seconds at the most.
    15 < Leave some gas bubbles in the dough.
    16 As best you can with the gooey mess, keep your hands well floured, roll into a ball and place the dough into a lightly oiled [EVOO] bowl.
    17 Cover with a towel, and walk away!
    18 < To this point, your total contact time with ingredients is maybe a minute, include measuring the flour, yada-yada.
    19 < Just walk away, Jose! -- For two hours.
    20 Preheat your oven [Egg] to 450F, with the dutch oven in it
    21 Turn the dough out on the counter again, gently de-gassing.
    22 < Tri-fold twice!
    23 < Then shape the dough into an appropriately long "log."
    24 < Again, this is a fast-'n-furious step, taking less than a minute.
    25 < When the "log" is formed, let it rest for about 10 minutes.
    26 Quickly, toss the "log" into the dutch oven, that has been in your Egg/oven for 30 min @ 450F
    27 < The extremely wet dough [superhydrated] will steam -- but the steam can't escape the dutch oven easily... this is what makes that crispy, yummy crust on the bread!
    28 < BTW -- The bread will not stick to the baking pot. < Don't grease the oven or anything. Just use it.
    29 After 30 minutes, take the lid off the cooker, and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.
    30 Viola! The deed is done!
    31 < Remove the dutch oven from the Egg/oven
    32 < Turn your Italian loaf out on to a rack to cool at least 30 min. before slicing. The inside of a loaf of any bread needs this rest time before slicing, or the inside of the bread can turn out "gummy."
    33 Enjoy the best Italian bread you've ever had.

Recipe Type
    Bread

Cooking Tips
    if you want you can grate some cheese into it just do it when you do the first turn out tb 2008/08/26

Recipe Source
    Author: Broc just across………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Source: BGE Forum 2008-01-17

:)

i hope you are feeling well and have had no problems.. if you don't want to speak about it here email me you have the addy B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

tb, not sure if he is going to answer us on that one.

I emailed him a week or so ago and he had some odd excuse of being busy, dancing, singing or some such excuse.

I think he was just out chasing girls. :) Just razzin ya Broc

Kent
    Talk about posting and running, geez broc.

GG
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Shane come back... I mean Broc, come back Broc.

Yup he did leave, rather quickly I might add. If I recall I don't think Broc has a digital camera. I had an idea to remedy that. But poof and he is gone.

Kent
  • pattikakepattikake Posts: 1,175
    Hi There,

;) I use my kitchen aid or bread machine to do the dough for all my breads, have not tried a loaf on the egg yet but that is my next project making desserts and bread on the egg.

Thank you,
    Patti