Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steam Pot Recipes for the Egg ??

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]There is a restaurant close to us that serves what they call a "Cajun Steam Pot." My wife and I eat these every time we go. It is basically a small cast-iron pot, that includes small potatoes, onions, small ears of corn, and a ton of shrimp and/or crab legs. I think it is basically water and Old Bay Seasoning in the mix. Problem is they want $17-18 apiece for the dish. [p]Well, I now own a 7qt Lodge Dutch Oven, and I think its first duty should be to try and replicate this dish on the egg, and I am hoping to do it better and cheaper. :-)[p]Does anyone have an actual recipe for something similar to this, or even know what I am talking about ? Any instructions / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[p]Cheers![p]- Mike

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, after an extensive search, i came up with this recipe (i am certain that you can add any seafood)

Ingredients: 12 oysters Old Bay spice
    water beer
    salt
    Melted Butter and lemon

Instructions: Place your fresh WASHED oysters in the same steam pot you used for crabs! The type with the steam rack in bottom.
    Add just enough Water and beer to pot to fill to rack.
    Place oysters in pot and sprinkle with old bay or JO seafood seafood spice.
    Sometimes I will sprinkle with salt.
    Steam until oysters open. Usually 15 minutes. Fresh oysters may need some encouragement. Do not over steam. I put unmelted butter and lemon dipping sauce in small metal pot IN the staem pot to melt and mix.
    Open and serve with melted butter and lemon dipping sauce. [p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I think this is what your looking for.
    Larry[p]
    Low Country Boil
    Send this site to a friend! (click here)[p]The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island Bed and Breakfast Retreat[p]Other Recipes
    Internet Cookbook Recipe Index[p]Other Bed and Breakfast, Country Inns, and Small Hotels on 1st Traveler's Choice
    Georgia Lodging Directory[p]North America Lodging Directory[p]Virtual Cities[p]The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island Bed and Breakfast Retreat
    P.O. Box 21078
    Little St. Simons Island, Georgia 31522-0578
    (912) 638-7472
    Toll Free:
    (888) SEE-LSSI (733-5774)
    Fax: (912) 634-1811
    Email[p]Ingredients
    1/2 pound kielbasa or turkey kielbasa (per person)1/2 pound raw shrimp in shell (per person)3 small new potatoes (per person)1 ear of corn (per person)cayenneclovesgarlicbay leavesOld Bay seasoningblack pepperTabasco pepper sauceOptional:
    2 small onions (per person)1 carrot cut into fourths (per person)1 to 2 crabs (per person)[p]Boil water in a very large steam kettle on stove or on an outdoor cooker. Season water with your choice of mentioned flavorings along with a little lemon juice or vinegar. Add potatoes, carrots, sausage and onions. Bring back to a boil and boil until almost tender. Add corn-on-the cob and crabs and boil for 5 minutes longer. Finally, add shrimp and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes more, or until shrimp are just cooked. Enjoy with cornbread, slaw, and watermelon![p] * The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island Bed and Breakfast Retreat
    * You found this recipe on 1st Traveler's Choice Internet Cookbook. (www.virtualcities.com)

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    YB,[p]Thats it! You nailed it exactly. I may also add the beer per Chef Arnoldi's post, but this looks really close to what they are doing (including the sausage and carrots which I forgot to mention). I will be sure to post some pictures when I am done.[p]Thanks ![p]- Mike

• YB
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Your welcome...We have cooked it many times...We leave the carrots out.
    Larry

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I think Larry posted what you are looking for, Mike. We call it Frogmore Stew. As Larry said, it is also known as Lowcountry Boil, or Beaufort Stew. I really don't think you will gain anything by attempting this on the Egg because all of the ingredients are in the boiling water. Use plenty of Old Bay, one package of Zatarain's Crab Boil, and add some cayenne pepper if you want a little zing. I make it quite often for large groups using a large steamer pot on a cajun cooker. I'll make it every now an then for just a couple of folks on the stove in a smaller (12 qt. I think) pot. The variations you can add are endless.
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    YB,[p]If you don't have any regular or turkey kielbasa, you can substitute weiners.[p]K~G

• YB
    Options
    KennyG,
    I think that would be just fine...Do you have wieners with your eggs in the morning.
    Larry