Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sparky Memorial Day Lump

Options
Rollocks
Rollocks Posts: 570
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a few bags of Royal Oak Lump 2 weeks ago. Started on the third one today. It is putting out mores than the sparkler on the 4th of July. It coats entire inside of the grill in dust. Any suggestions on how to quickly eliminate the sparks?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    My guess is you have a bag from Argentina.

Nothing you can do but let it spark or toss it out.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rollocks,

Keep it for cleaning burns. I've had that with South American lump and it will taint your food if it doesn't settle down.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    That sucks and it is a reason that Kingsford is my reserve backup of the backup lump. I only use RO and WGC and have not had any sparky RO. I hope you can find a way to use what you have before tossing it. Good Luck
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Please help us all and post what the country of origin is that is printed on the side of the sack. Myself if it doesn't say the USA I avoid the foreign woods for the smokey and also the horrible sparky reason you state. I believe RO got the word and cleaned up their act.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Same here--got some from wally world a few weeks ago, and thankfully have finished up with those bags. I normally use Ozark Oak. Don't know any other use for really sparky lump except to use it for a high-temp clean burn to clean out the cooker.

Also had the same problem with the following lump:

Kingsford charwood
    B&B
    Royal Oak (U.S.)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You don't like it? Exercise their 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. I did and got all my money back on 7 bags.