Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts on

Options
TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
3 butts just went on 10:30 CDT, #7 1/2, 8, and 9 1/2. DigiQ at 275*. I think I'll go to bed. 1st cook of the 3 day weekend.TNmike :)

DSC00928.jpg

Comments

• BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    Looking good! :woohoo: So can you monitor the DigiQ from bed or do you not worry about it? I take it you are doing some entertaining this weekend? I am looking forward to trying a butt for the first time pretty soon-maybe next weekend after my sons soccer season is over. We play on Sat mornings and I am the coach; I could imagine telling the parents I couldn't make it due to a raw butt. :silly:
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    TNmike, looking good, update us tomorrow. That looks like an XL egg, right?
    Gary
    canuckland
  • TNmike
    Options
    I've had the DigiQ for a while and don't usually have to worry about it but the kids got me a Maverick for my B'day so I can now lay in bed and check in. :laugh: I'm getin' old so all nighters are a little harder than they uesd to be and the kids know I like toys. TNmike
  • TNmike
    Options
    Yep, that is the XL, it was a little much for the small. :laugh: Tnmike
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Looks good! Can I ask you about your drip pan? Is that just some aluminum foil underneath the butts? If so, do you have a lot of grease in the lump when everything is done? I've recently bought an XL to add the stable, and I had a bear of a time with that thing because of how I put the plate setter in there--I had it under the fire ring so that I could have room for a full tray underneath the pork butts. However, I paid the price because I had some serious airflow issues--even using the DigiQ. I never had any problems like I did when cooking the same thing on my LBGE.

Thanks for any information you can offer up :)
  • TNmike
    Options
    The drip pan is a cheap pizza pan covered with foil and the foil is loosly under the pan to keep from being in contact with the plate setter. I'm pushing it with this small pan on this cook. I have a larger pan somewhere just too lazy to look for where I had it hid. The most I've ever done before was six 7-8 LB'rs. I've tried the plate setter under the fire ring before but had air issues also, seems to work just fine for some though. I'm due a 'clean burn' so if I drip too much tomorrow will be the day. Mike
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Excellent! Thank you for the info--I'm still trying to learn the ways of the XL and will try to put the plate setter on top of the ring next time. Just seemed to me that the DigiQ was huffing and puffing away for an awful long time before the pit temp would sit in the right spot.

Pizza pan it is...I have one from one of my earlier experiments back in 2007, so I'll just get some foil on him to try out the second cook on the XL. Shouldn't be too greasy, as I'll be doing some ribs this time around.
  • TNmike
    Options
    Butts ready for the wrap and rest. This is one of those cooks that went quicker than usual, only 11 1/2 hrs. The big one was at 194* the two smaller ones at 198*. Mike

DSC00930.jpg