Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL indirect setup

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so the first cook on the XL was pork butt. Had temp control issues at the end of the 17-hour cook. When I looked to see what happened the next day, I saw that the firebox was full of ash, with nowhere for the air to go except for where I used the coat hanger/wiggle stick. Here is how much lump was left after the cook:

IMG_4043.jpg

Here is the configuration I used. Note that the plate setter is in there before the fire ring to make room for the drip pan. However, this really limits the amount of "air" in there for the lump:

IMG_4044.jpg

This was the final config, with the exception of the full tray pan, which was tucked in between the grid and the plate setter. It was actually suspended by the fire ring:

IMG_4045.jpg

How do you guys setup your XL for indirect? If I put the plate setter on top of the fire ring, there is NO ROOM for anything but some foil to shield the platesetter from the drippings.

NOTES: look at the size of the holes in the cast iron grate. They're much smaller than the holes for the LBGE abd SBGE grates. I think Little Steven was asking about those.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Mike,I use an 18" pizza pan for a drip pan(thank's to the poolman).But it looks like you got the new guts for the XL.You musta got the old platesetter if you don't have room for a drip pan(with the legs up).The "new" platesetter has longer legs on it :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You have the new setup. I suggest you put the platesetter as it was designed and three or four fire brick on top of the platesetter to hold the grate up further.

The way you have it setup works best with the older style XL.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mike,

Sparky's right. That is the old platesetter. Wasn't me about the holes. I was the guy that was bichin about service.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Interesting.. New fire ring, older platesetter..
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    See what happens when you go big! :laugh: As you know I can't help you Mike but I have no doubt you will figure it out. ;) What you doing having forum time at this time of the day? Holladay all ready?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Spoke w/Scott at BBQ Outfitters, and he told me that was the PS which shipped with the latest shipment. I'll try to talk w/Atlanta tomorrow to see if they have a different part number for the new PSXL. I'd also like to see what one looks like. If it's like the PS for the LBGE, I'll have enough room for the drip pans. Otherwise, I'll be on a search for an 18" pizza pan.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    You're gonna get me in trouble, man :) I was home early after we finished our work today.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Mike,the new XL platesetter is like the one on the large,that's why the firebow is a little shorter and the firering has notches in it.It's to make room for a taller platesetter ;) You just need a "new" platesetter buddy,and you're good to go :woohoo: :)
  • WestCoastBarbeque
    Options
    Does anyone have a pic of the new XL platesetter?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pete,

I got the opposite. Old fire ring, new platesetter

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Hey Mike! I have an XL and had normally used the NEW PL legs up on top of fire ring, pizza pan (for drippings) and grill atop that... there was enough space for lump for up to 50+ hours of slow cooking...

Now I have tjv's rig and last butts I made I used the hanger with the large PL legs up atop the hanger, 19" pizza stone above that, raising ring around, pizza pan on pizza stone for drippings and grid atop raising ring... even though there was less lump (the hanger hangs lower), there was air between the to "stones" and my drippings didn't burn... which was always a problem for me... the raised position of the butt also makes temp control (if not using a guru or stoker) more accurate as you place it closer to the dome...

My 2 c...

Cinthia says hi!
    cheers!
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Here is a link to a video that Fred made to show the differernces between old and new XL egg. Hope it helps.
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/533.htm
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Thanks for the video link! I saw that the platesetter has longer legs now and looks more like the PS for the LBGE.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Hi Pato,

Thank you very much for letting me know how you're setup on the XL. I'll get in touch with Tom to see when he'll have the new gear available for the 2009 XL.

Regards to Cinthia,
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Bean, I have had good results with the plate setter legs up and a 1 inch deep Drip pan on the plate setter and the grid on top. I have the older model XL and the older model Plate setters. There is not much room between the plate setter and the grid only an inch or so. With you having the newer Egg I would invest in the newer plate setter. The new plate setter has longer legs like the large does. I usually have quite a bit more lump left offer after a 14 hour cook. There may be some differences in the grate and lump we are using. I have been using R/O with good results. I may invest in a new fire box and plate setter to give me more room for a larger drip pan. It hasn't been an issue so far but I have to watch the level in the drip pan. Over all I love the Large for those slow cooks. I find the temps are a bit more stable than my large. When I get Home I am going to cook at my grate and compare it to yours.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Thank you for the link. I just saw the video and I will definitely will wait if I have to for a 2009 XL. I think the BGE-XL at the Barbeques Galore was NOT a 2009. I like the set up where the Ring to hold the Place Setter has divettes for the legs of the Place Setter. So like they say "Patience is a Virtue" and dammit I want what I want and will wait until I get it !