Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too much Lump Poking?

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Iv'e checked manual and TNW web page and not able to find out simple question as to whether one should stir up used lump (to enable ash to fall) prior to filling with fresh lump? I was not able to get more than 300 degrees last night and suspect grate clogged and not allowing good air flow. Couple of weeks ago when new I could just open up bottom vent and watch needle swing into horseshoe melting zone. Thanks

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Charbon,[p]Always stir your old lump well, and allow the ashes to go down the holes and clear out the airway.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Charbon,[p]Yes, stir up the lump before adding new charcoal. I always stir it really well and make sure the 6 large holes in the fire box are clear of ash and small charcoal pieces. An ice pick or screw driver works great to clean out the holes.[p]Jim
  • Jim Benenson
    Options
    Charbon,[p]You should always have as much air (oxygen) flowing past the coals as possible. The Egg is a specialized pipe with fire in the middle. Don't let the air get clogged -- ever.[p]Zen Cooker #1
  • ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    Charbon,[p]When stirring I push all the used lump to the side after all the ash has fallen through, then I scoop in some fresh lump (larger peices usually) on to the exposed grate and fire box holes. I then push/stir the used lump on top of the new lump exposing the other side and repeat the process. When done there's nothing but new larger sized lump on the grate. This always gets the best air flow for me. [p]I use a electric starter so in the process I put it at the bottom and bury it under new lump. Starting the fire at the bottom is my preferred method for getting the Egg going for high heat cooks. I start it from the top of the lump for low and slow.[p]I hope this helps.[p]CC