Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Jerky

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tips or links to making jerky in the egg?[p]
Thanks[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    luvspbnj,
    I've made jerkey a couple of times. For an amateur I think it came out pretty good. I bought a spice/marinade mix from BBQ's Galore, followed the instructions. I kept the egg around 180-200 degrees and laid the jerkey out flat on a couple of grids that I stacked with wood blocks in between. I turned the jerkey every so often until it was done. I think the one basic piece of advice everyone will give you is to make as much as you possibly can because it won't last long![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />luvspbnj,
    Gfw has on his website a good starter recipe. I modified to fit my tastes. It is called River City Beef Jerky. It still might be on the recipe section here.
    I use rump roast and marinade overnight. Cook indirect for about 8 hours flipping constantly and use Jack Daniels chips for the smoke flavor.[p]CWM

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I'm trying my first jerky tomorrow. Right now I've got 5 lbs of top round/london broil ($1.99/lb) cut into strips and marinating according to Gordon's "Version #2 - River City Modified". It goes on the grill tomorrow morning.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Dave's Not Here, Low and slow. The meat will be done in about 2 hours or less but keep it going to dry out. Let me know how you like the recipe.[p]CWM