Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - how long?

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that there have been dozens of posts on this topic, but I have seen recomendations that range from around 1 hour per pound to over 2 hours per pound. I just put a 3.5lb brisket flat in the fridge after coating it with Cow Lick, seasoned salt and some garlic powder and would like to finish it up for Sat. evening dinner. It is around 1 3/4" thick at the bigger end and tapers down to less than an inch at the small end. I will use a Poulder to monitor the internal temp at the thick end, but about how long should I plan for this small flat? Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SteveO,
    I would allow 9-10 hours for it at 250 dome. I have found that the smaller ones take around 10 hours usually, and the hour per pound rule does not really apply with the little guys. Also I would suggest measuring the temp in the thinner end.[p]Just a couple o' cents, and IMO.
    Beers Steve!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    SteveO,
    Unlike pork butt/shoulder, there just doesn't seem to be a 'general concensus' on brisket cook times.... They seem to be all over the map!
    I would say, go on high side (for you, 8-9 hrs), and if/when it's done early, wrap it in Saran, heavy duty foil and then a towel and place in a cooler bag or enclosed area (for that size cut, maybe a closed microwave would be sufficient) until you are ready to chow down. I find a bit of heated beef broth poured on top of the meat before the 'mummification' process helps in moisture retention/distribution.
    Also, very important, take note of the run of grain in the meat BEFORE applying rub and cooking and be sure to cut against grain when slicing at finish. I put a 'notch' in the meat to indicate where first slice should go after cooking.... Saves second-guessing after the fact.....
    Another suggestion...don't oversmoke! You'd think beef would hold up well to smoke application, but it can go from 'tasty' to 'bitter' faster in beef than in pork IMHO.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Other ideas from my personal bag o' tricks: Elevated, ndirect set up, over a Coke or Dr Pepper-filled drip pan (thanks Dr. Chicken!), running about 250-260 dome temp all the way...... temperature control seems to be a greater factor in brisket cooks than in pork butt/shoulder/picnic cooks.
    Resist the urge to look, and leave dome lid down!
    Thanks for choosing CowLick for your initial brisket cook!! Add a bit of turbinado sugar to that rub if you want that dark carmelized/meteorite finish synonymous with Texas brisket.......
    That's about all I know on the subject, so maybe some others with more experience will chime in as well.....
    Qfan

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    SteveO,
    Coat that thing with sugar, leave overnight and cook indirect at 240 for 2 hours then foil wrap for an other 2 hours at 190 with onions on top. [p]CWM