Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Supplies

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have owned a Med BGE for about 2 weeks and love it. Want to try pizza tonight. Does anyone have suggestions about where I can purchase supplies. I have a place setter and BGE pizza stone. What else do I need?[p]Thanks

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    neweggor,[p]I do pizza frequently on a medium Egg.[p]If you already have the plate setter and BGE stone, all that remains is a wooden or metal peel for inserting and removing the pies. Target stores carry a decent wooden peel with the "Italian Villa" brand name and nicely sized for the 12" pies that the medium Egg can handle with the BGE stone.[p]To get your initial feel for baking pizza, you can start with one of the popular, self-rising, frozen pies available everywhere. I suggest Freschetta 4 cheese and then add your own topings. Don't laugh, these come out especially well on the Egg and will taste better than cooked in the oven.[p]Use your platesetter legs up with the cooking grid on top, add 50° to the package directions and they will come out fine in the time specified. [p]If you have time to make your own dough (bread machine?), or sauce, better yet. Or, buy some at the grocery store. Dust your peel with corm meal and/or flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Legs down on the setter this time with the pizza stone on top. 550° is the target temp here for 10-14 minutes. This will be brick oven quality pizza and you will probably not order out again - JMHO[p]K~G[p][p]
  • Poncho
    Poncho Posts: 50
    Options
    neweggor,
    I have done a few pizzas on my large with the platesetter, stone set up. I make my own everything. I like a higher temp (around 700) and cook around 10 minutes.
    One pizza tip, if I may...fewer toppings, less sauce..minimal tends to work better.
    Poncho

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    KennyG,
    When you use the setter legs up and then the grill,are you putting the Freschetta directly on the grill??? (no stone?)[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    KennyG, Thanks for the help. Can you put your stone in with the legs down from the outset?[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    KennyG, Will the med. BGE handle a 14" stone?

• KennyG
    Options
    freschetta.jpg
    <p />New Bob,[p]Exactly. Although others may have their own techniques, this one works best for me after much experimentation.[p]When I tried to use a pizza stone on self-risers, the crust always burned before the toppings were done.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Options
    neweggor,[p]After your Egg is preheated and stable at 550° (outside of dome is VERY hot to the touch, add the pizza stone 10 minutes before you put the pie on. The flavor it will pick up from the lump is wonderful - no other wood chips needed.[p]Another trick I learned from our resident pizza master, Spin, is to leave the lower vent wide open and control the temp from the top daisy wheel, slide vent, etc. This man is a professional, but you can do it yourself at home hehehe.[p]K~G[p][p]
    K~G

• KennyG
    Options
    smgrill2.jpg
    <p />neweggor,[p]It will IF: you raise the cooking grid by attaching 4" SS bolts and nuts to the outside that will sit on the fire ring. Otherwise the 14" stone (large Egg size) takes up too much of a footprint with not enough room around the outside for hot air to heat up the dome.[p]The pic shows just such an arrangement that lets me use my medium stone on my small Egg.[p]K~G

• Unknown
    Options
    You can get pizza dough at Publix in their bakery dept. that works great. We cooked it at 500 for about 8 min. and it turned out could and crisp.