Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on building a hot fire?

Options
jld
jld Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't think I've ever been able to get my egg over 450... I'm making pizza tonight, can anyone give me some tips on how to build and light the fire so I can be sure I'll get up to pizza temps? (500-550, I believe?)

Thanks!

John

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    More lump. No specific way to build it, just pour in at least 1/2 way up the fire box maybe even close to the top of firebox. If your lump is dry and getting enough air, it will get there.

BTW I usually use a weed burner to start the lump. If you don't have one, just pour some 90% rubbing alcohol in there, light it and it will get hot pretty fast.
  • jld
    jld Posts: 63
    Options
    BTW I usually use a weed burner to start the lump. If you don't have one, just pour some 90% rubbing
    alcohol in there, light it and it will get hot pretty fast.

What is 'some'? 1 cup? 1 pint?
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I've been using about 1/4 cup. 500°+ in about 20min.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Cory,

1/4 cup of 91% alcohol?

Kent
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    Hey JLD, hope this isn't too late for your pizzas. Here is how I build a fire that can maintain low and slow or go nuclear fairly quickly - 20 minutes. I clean the egg all the way out, shop vac the entire thing. I then stack big pieces of charcoal on top of the grate with a surgeon's precision. I make sure that as many holes are as unblocked as possible. Usually takes about 15-20 pieces of the largest charcoal that I have. After that I just dump the rest in to the top of the fire ring and light. Then the I can control the temp with the vents. I have no problem lighting and getting to temp.

Hope this helps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    What size egg?

On my large if I am cooking pizza or any high temperature cook I do the following.

I very seldom clean out old lump. I move around the old lump in the egg and make sure all the ash has fallen down.

I then make sure all the holes in the fire grate and fire box are not blocked.

I dump in mew lump up to the top of the fire box and or up into the fire ring.

I light in 4 spots if using starting cubes - 3, 6, 9 o'clock and center.

If oil/paper towel I light left and right of center.

If 91% alcohol at my altitude I use 2 oz. in two spots left & right of center. I let the alcohol soak in for about 10 seconds before lighting.

If propane or MAPP - 3 to 4 spots.

If weed burner it really doesn't matter as the lump will be going in less than a minute.

I light and make sure whatever I am using to start is going well then close the dome. Bottom vent & screen full open, DFMT off the egg.

Try to make sure whatever you use to light with is down in the lump a little ways - about 1 to 1.5 inches. You might put some smaller lump pieces above the starting material - but don't block the air flow.

Get or make a wiggle stick, use some round aluminum or steel rod.

You should get a good hot fire within 15 to 20 minutes and by this time should have to close the lower vent down and put the DFMT on the egg.

If your heat is not high enough use the wiggle stick up through the fire grate holes and slightly wiggle and move the lump. You are trying to get a clear air path up into the lump. Do this in 7 or 8 holes.

I don't bother cleaning out the ash every cook, only about every 3 to 4 cooks. I don't take the egg apart and clean only once every year or so. I use the egg 4 to 6 times a week year around.

Also, make sure the fire box opening is lined up with the lower vent.

Your goal is to get a broad/wide burn in the fire box.

The hole process is simple - heat = fuel + air. Air flow is usually the problem. As long as there is enough air flow you will get hotter temperatures with smaller pieces of lump rather than a fire box full of large chunks. Small pieces of lump can also restrict air flow easier than large pieces.

I used to sort my lump in small, medium and large chunks and spend time putting each in the egg. Largest on bottom to make sure I would get good air flow through the fire grate.

For the last 6 months I just dump and what goes in is what I use. I try not to pour in the very fine lump that is in the bags.

GG
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    If I don't stay on top of thigs at startup, mine will be at 5-600* in 10 minutes or so. It's either not enough lump or air issue. I'm betting air.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    GG,
    I have been using denatured alcohol, whatever % that is. If you'll remember, I've used a chimney starter for lighting up until recently. I have only used the alcohol for about 3 cooks and have used less each time. It seems to light the lump much deeper in than the chimney lit lump (of course that is only being poured on top of preloaded unlit lump) so I am a bit hesitant to use the alcohol for lo and slo. It does start a good hot fire though; and quick! :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    A quart seems like a lot of alcohol, hence my question.

I'm not sure what percentage denatured is... I get 91% as lower percentage alcohol just wouldn't light the lump.

On my large and medium, I put 2 oz left of center in about a 6 to 8" circle and 2 oz right of center. I then light.

As with starter cubes, oil/paper towel, alcohol gives an initial high temperature burn due to the flames. The temperature for me usually settles down to about 200 to 250 degrees then begins to climb.

From there stabilizing for a L&S is simple and a little more time for higher temperatures.

Kent