Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Advice

Options
NCMike
NCMike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I usually do ribs, briskets, chickens, chops etc on my egg, but never a pork loin. I have an 8 pounder that I want to cook. All the recipes I've seen call for cuting it in half, but I would rather cook the loin intact on a rack. Can any of you pork loin experts advise as to the recommended cook temperature and approximate min/pound?[p]Thanks to all![p]Mike

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    NCMike, IMHO the tenderloin being lean must be brined. I use 3/4 cup of salt per gallon. I also put in about a cup or so of apple juice.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    He has a loin, not the tenderloin. I have never brined my loins, and they come out great everytime. [p]~nikki[p]

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    porkroast1.jpg
    <p />NCMike,
    We just did a whole pork loin yesterday. Here is what we do:[p]Cut finger size tunnels in the pork loin starting on the top and going sideways towards the middle of the roast(you could even bore a couple holes starting on the ends through the middle). Fill them with minced garlic, and hunks of romano cheese. Coat with Butt Rub. Wrap with bacon. Cook over a drip pan at 350 till 145 internal, usually abot 1.5-2 hours. [p]Best pork loin we have ever made.[p]~nikki

• The Other Dave
    Options
    nikkig, Good catch. Even so I have taken to brining almost everything I grill not just to keep the cuts moist, but also as a way to "force" flavorings deep into the meat. I'm experimenting with various flavors lately.

• NCMike
    Options
    nikkig, Thanks for the advice-that looks delicious!
    Mike

• NCMike
    Options
    Other Dave, thanks for the reply. I haven't brined anything in ages. Below is a brine/marinade recipe that I cut out of my newspaper 8-10 years ago and I did a quick Google search and viola, here it is. Makes the best turkey I've ever had. EVERY turkey lover should try this. I bet it would be good with yardbird as well. I just use the marinade recipe and cook on the egg as I would ordinarily.[p]Give it a try sometime![p]Mike[p]Chef Jeff Starr's Orange-Marinated Brined Smoked Turkey
    12 to 15 servings
    1 gallon orange juice
    2 cups rice wine vinegar
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    6 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/4 cup sliced fresh ginger
    1 bunch green onions, sliced
    2 bunches cilantro, chopped
    12 whole star anise
    2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
    2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon whole cloves
    2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
    1 cup kosher salt
    1 turkey, 12 to 15 pounds, giblets removed, liver and neck reserved
    Wine barrel or orange wood chips (about 2 pounds; grapevine cuttings or hickory chips may be substituted)
    Olive oil, as needed
    Salt and pepper, to taste[p]Combine orange juice, rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, green onions, cilantro, star anise, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, cloves, peppercorns and salt in a stock pot or large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Let cool.[p]Rinse and dry turkey. Place in a large plastic, glass or earthenware container not much wider than the turkey and deep enough so that the brine will cover the bird completely. Pour in brine; make sure it covers turkey. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days. [p]About 4 hours before serving, soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.[p]Remove the turkey from the brine and pat it dry; truss and place on a roasting rack. Rub with olive oil, salt and pepper.[p]Place a drip pan with an inch of water in it on the fire grate of a kettle-type grill. Place 20 or 30 briquettes on either side of drip pan. Light and let burn until coated with white ash, about 30 minutes.Place turkey in the center of the grill over the drip pan. Place small handfuls of wet wood chips on the briquettes. Cover kettle with the lid. Partially open lid and kettle vents. Try not to remove the lid too often, or the temperature will drop, but check approximately every 45 minutes and replenish briquettes as needed, adding about 10 each time and also additional smoking wood.[p]If briquettes begin to burn too hot or flare up (turkey skin will blacken), gently damp down the fire with a plant mister, taking care not to blow briquette dust into drip pan. (If turkey skin gets too dark, cover with foil.) Maintain an inch of water in the drip pan. Carefully add water if drippings appear to be boiling away.[p]Smoke the turkey for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast (not touching bone) reaches 165 to 170 degrees. Carefully transfer the turkey to a carving platter and let it rest for about 15 minutes before carving.[p](From Chef Jeff Starr.) [p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    NCMike,
    I do pork loins direct, between 3-350* figuring on 20 min per pound. You want an internal in the 145-155 range. With a piece that big you might want to test the temp in a couple of spots.

• NCMike
    Options
    Shelby, thanks a lot![p]Mike

• The Other Dave
    Options
    NCMike,Looks great. Turkey breasts are one of my favorite cuts on the egg now that I have been introduced to brining. On looking over the ingredients on your recipe using 2 gallons of OJ plus vinegar, I would concider increasing the salt to 1 and 1/2 cups to stay with my preference of 3/4 cup per gallon. That said, I always taste the brine prior to adding the meat. I concider the tasting as vital.[p]Thanks again for the brine recipe.