Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are some of the ribs I enjoyed today. Direct for almost 5 and a half hours. Very tasty![p]croppednosauce_big.jpg[p]Later,
Cornfed
[/b]

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Those look GREAT![p]Happy 4th,
    QBabe
    :~)

• Cornfed
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Thanks. Those were the unsauced ones. I actually took some shots of the ribs I sauced after they came off the grill but the pics didn't come out that great. In real life, the sauced ones ended up looking and tasting better than the unsauced. The picture of the unsauced looked better, though, so that's what I shared.[p]Incidentally, the unsauced were still damn good!!! It's nice to have to choose between good and really good ribs on this holiday weekend![p]The tenderness of these ribs was perfect. The taste was very good, but actually a little too hot for some of my guests. There was a decent amount of black, cayenne, and lemon pepper in the rub plus some chile powder, so I can understand why it was hot. I like my food hot so it was good for me, but for the uninitiated, it was apparently a little too hot after several ribs. I'll have to play with that for my next attempt (either later this weekend or next).[p]Happy 4th!
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Those ribs look great!![p]I have had my BGE for a little less than a month and have had my first TOTAL DISASTER. (RIBS)[p]I turned 11 pounds of spare-ribs into charcoal.[p]The recipe called for 375degrees for 3 to 4 hours uncovered.[p]I would appreciate it if you would salve my wounded pride by posting your recipe. <smile>[p]Thank you very much.[p]KL
  • Cornfed
    Options
    KL,[p]The key to good ribs is, IMO, temp control. You can do them direct, indirect, firebricks, no firebricks, platesetter, no platesetter, rack, direct on the grill, etc... With any configuration, though, you need to have control of your temps if you want success.[p]The simplest way to success, IMO, is to take a slab of pork spares, remove the membrane, and season with your favorite rub. Honestly, if you don't have a fav rub, try a Dizzy Pig or a Ken Stone rub. If you don't have those, try just salt and pepper - it won't matter - as long as you cook them right, the rub will be secondary.[p]Anyway, get your Egg going and aim for a temp between 200* and 250*. If your ribs are in a rack, you're all set. Keep the temps in this range and start checking for doneness at 3 hours. Some indicators are that the meat pulls from the bone by about a half inch or more, or the slab of ribs sags when picked up. If you're looking for internal temp, the internal temp between the ribs should be approx 180*.[p]If you have no rack and are putting the ribs direct on the grill, flip/rotate every 45 minutes or so.[p]I don't sauce until the ribs come off the grill since the sugar in the sauce will merely burn, anyway.[p]My first few attempts at ribs on the Egg flopped. Learn to control temps and do those ribs at 200-250 and you will be happy with any method you choose! If you keep the temp in the low 200s, your pork spares will likely take between 4 and 5.5 hours.[p]Email me at dave@davidpace.net, or post here, if you have other questions. There are many rib masters here. It's there world, and I'm just a rib squirrel trying to get a proverbial rib nut![p]Be confident, though, that if you keep the temps consistently low and follow the old low and slow adage, you will soon have the best ribs you've ever tried![p]Good luck!
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.[p]I will try again soon.[p]KL
  • Cornfed
    Options
    KL,[p]No prob at all. I know how it is hard when you're first trying anything. Let me know if you need anything else. This forum is great for folks just trying to learn the art of BBQ. To me, the 2 second answer to any question is "learn temp control and cook (whatever) between 200* and 250* until it's done." Other than the crispieness of skin issue, I do believe that advice to be true.[p]Good luck!
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Cornfed, Thanks for the great info. Is the 200-250 the dome temp or at the cooking level? I cooked spares yesterdy for first time using 225 at the cooking level (dome of about 300). [p]The hardest thing for me was knowing when the ribs were done. I cooked them for 3.5 hours and I think they were done but I was not sure.[p]How should the finished product "feel"? Should the meet "stick" to the bone or fall off? Should it take a "litle" effort to pull the meet of the bones with my teeth? Sorry for all the questions, but I have never eaten ribs with an "expert" to tell me if the ribs are good or not.[p]BYO beer, BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    BeerMike,
    Most temps you see here will be dome temp

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BeerMike,
    It is a great idea to monitor your cooking level temps.....especially if you are looking for consistency! You are definitely on the good track. As far as determining doneness, try a toothpick between the bones. As long as it tugs back on you, the ribs are not done. When it slips in and out real easy-like....they be done! [p]Supposedly, with the perfect rib you end up with a clean bone. But one bite at a time.[p]Homebrews to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]I agree with Mr. Nature Boy. I think the little effort to get to a clean bone one bite at a time is ideal. It's definitely a matter of personal preference, but at that judging class and at the judges' meeting in Philly the instructor people did mention that they preferred ribs that didn't completely fall apart.[p]As for temps, I measure at the grill level.[p]I just had some leftover ribs. Very good, but if I eat any more pork this weekend, I think I'll explode. Fortunately, I've been keeping my diet balanced this weekend with a steady supply of beer...[p]Later,
    Cornfed
    [/b]