Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can lump go bad???

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being too lazy to walk out to the storage building for my BGE lump, I decided to try a bag of Ozark lump that my dealer gave me with my LBGE, "almost two years ago".

The fire is starting up and it smells kinda moldy or mildewy (if those are words). I am in MS, so yes we get dampness, but it was in a RubberMaid like storage unit.

The question is, do I use it or just let it burn out and replace with my BGE Lump?

Thanks for you advice...
...AnnaG...

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    When my nose tells me something, I listen. But others should give some better advise. I'm not sure what you should do.
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    Options
    Hi AnnaG it sounds like it had a bit of moisture content when you locked it in the Rubbermaid airtight container and it went musty.
    I would let it air out somewhere where it will stay dry but in the open air for a couple of weeks to see if it looses the mustiness then try and burn some again to see if there is any change.
    I wouldn’t use it to cook food with while it had that odor.

AuntieEgger
    Hamilton, Ontario
  • AnnaG
    Options
    Ok, I think I will opt for the pizza in the oven option and not use that lump...

Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Does your egg need a good high temp cleaning? :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's carbon. can't go bad. unless turning into a diamond is "bad".

might be musty, but fresh lump is already bad (the volatiles) and they too need to burn off. the mustiness and the VOCs will be long gone if you give it half an hour as it comes up to temp.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I had some hickory chunks that got wet and mildewed a little. They smelled musty but it was fine on the fire and had no negative impact. Lump I don't know. If you use it to cook food I would try it with something simple and less expensive like burgers or something. Like I said if nothing else use it for a high temp cleaning.
  • stike
    Options
    i don't understand the chicken little fever that seems to pervade the forum.

how is it safe on the wood chunks but dangerous on the lump?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well stike that stuff burns at 1800 degrees and we all know organisims live in that type of enviroment... i mean you have seen pictures of the creatures that they have found on mercury which is not quite there but you know that you get the picture :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Not that it is dangerous. The chunks I used had no negative effect on the taste of the food. I personally have not had that issue with lump therefore I cannot say wether it would have any effect or not so, I would try it first. You would not be using as much chunks as you are lump. Would it make a difference? I don't know. What I do know is that it didn't matter with the hickory chunks.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Have you ever had this experience with lump or chunks? If not, I guess you cannot speak intelligently on the subject. If you have why don't you share your experience instead of trying to belittle me on this forum. It wouldn't hurt reading and understanding the post before you comment.
  • BENTE
    Options
    i hope it is not me that you are referring too!! (i am not sure... as the view i am in you just replied to yourself)

if you did take offense by what i said let me appologize to you..

although you may not understand i have seen several hundred posts from stike where he was aruging food saftey questions.. so my remark was not to you, but to stike.. and some of the things i have seen him post.. (somewhere there is a post about him eating a steak that was older than some of the bed sheets in my house).. i have seen him post things that in the words of some movie sargent (first blood) "he can eat things that will make a billy goat puke" :sick:

so do not take offense from me ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AnnaG
    Options
    Thank you Eddie! I didn't think this was such a stupid post, but something that most folks have dealt with...

Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    No BENTE it is not directed at you. I was a little taken in about his reply and his Chicken Little comment. You are usually most helpful. I had an experience similar to Anna's and some of the reply's were a bit sarcastic with nothing to offer. I am not one for taking such. I just did not know how I wanted to reply at first. I apologize if you think it was directed at you.
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea i can see that there is no way to let people know what they say is funny.. stike is really a knowledgable fellow but can sometimes rub people the wrong way.. but he knows his stuff.. there is also a guy named wolf that can be short but i think he gets tired of answering the same kind of questions.. they are both knowledagble people but somtimes come off as grumpy...

after you get past that they are both entertaining :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AnnaG
    Options
    Hey TB,

Was this one of those posts that have been answered time and time again? I am sorry, if that is the case... I try to post appropriate things, that will help me and someone else... :)

Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I would agree. I may have reacted a bit aggressively and your right Stike has me rolling on a lot of his comments he post and I can tell he knows his stuff. I have learned a lot on this forum and will continue. I will share my experiences and take note of others experiences. As newer Eggers come on this forum there are going to be those repeat issues. How many post have we seen on gaskets? While the rest of us are probably gasket pros there is a new guy who doesn't have a clue of what to do when his gasket falls on to his rib eye's. No matter who they are they should be treated with respect unless they ask for otherwise. If the subject irritates them because they are tired of seeing repeated post they should move on to the next thread and not comment. just my 2 cents. That is probably the bottom line, it just rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry for any confusion and firing back with both barrels but not at you.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Anna, even if it was a repeat post don't worry about it. Let us know how it turns out. I think Stike may be right when it comes up to temp the musty smell will probably be gone. I was leary about using musty Hickory chunks at first but it smelled like smoking hickory when it got to smoking and everything taseted fine. I would think the same applies to the lump. Don't hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
  • AnnaG
    Options
    Thank you much!!! I appreciate it... I decided to go with the oven version and will use the rest for a high temp cleaning...

Thank you for your advice and help...
    ...AnnaG...
  • BENTE
    Options
    not exactly but kind of close.. do not take offense..

there are always people who will help and there are sometimes people who help but they do it in a short kind of way... not that they are being mean they just answer the question with little emotion and people will take that wrong!!!

just think of it like i do..."What Are You Going To Do Make Me Stop Posting??" that is what goes through my mind if someone pi$$es me off..

i have made people mad.. i have said some stupid things.. but as long as i keep comming here i keep learning things to cook.. and how to cook it.. and my family loves it!!! ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AnnaG
    Options
    Gotcha... No worries... I understand about hearing the same thing over and over... I was hoping that my post was not something that basic...

I appreciate everything that I learn here on the forum and for sure appreciate the fact that I can post something that is so basic and still will get the answer that I need...

Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...
  • BENTE
    Options
    but see here in the egghead forum there seems to be alot of novice people here (i am one of them) i am one of those people who could not tell you how to work excel, word, or several other programs on my computer.. but i can tell you how to navigate this forum....

there are computer experts on here that do not understand people like me that may not know how to search past topics (and AnnaG i am not talking about you) but to see some similar topics that somepeople around here answer questions about, and how they answer. is really comidic to me.. just one of the reasons i like hanging out here B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree 100%. My family feels the same way. There are some of the most inventive and creative people on this forum. There are years of experience and cooking talent here and there is a lot to learn. Best of all its free and entertaining most of the time. I look forward to the next Eggfest that I can go to meet a bunch of them. There are some of the best people to talk to and even some of which I have developed relationships with beyond the forum. Maybe I took it all wrong, Thanks for letting me vent. :)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Poor Anna, I feel like you got all caught up in my rant.
  • AnnaG
    Options
    No worries... It is all good... I let the lump burn out and will use if for a good cleaning...

You guys are great!!!

Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    B) You da boy BLUE!!!
  • stike
    Options
    it's "dangerous" to eat the food you cook over clean lump anyway/ the mold is not going to last through the fire, but all the actualy for real toxic sh!t that no one ever seems to acknowledge is their WILL.
    hahaha

"what if mold fumes get on my steak?"
    hmm, i dunno, but you might wanna consider the carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, PAHs from burning fat, etc. etc. etc. no, let's ignore that stuff and run screaming for the hills because we saw an ant on our woodchips and i think he kighta got into the fire..... i threw out the entire prime rib rather than risk some genetically altered ant disease...

that's just me. i'd rather worry about the things that are real, than imagine twenty things that might be
  • stike
    Options
    i wasn't belittling you.
  • stike
    Options
    i didn't say it was stupid, either.

i was referring to the wider tendency on this forum for people to parachute in and tell someone to "throw it out, just to be safe" while simultaneously saying "i don't know anything about this, and it's never happened to me, and i haven't looked into it or thought critically about it for ten seconds, but i say better safe than sorry. you should move out of your house and never go back. don't take anything with you"

am i exagerrating? sure. but after the thirtieth time someone asks about, for example, "my chicken was on the counter for three hours, is it safe", it kinda drives a thinking man a little nuts.
  • stike
    Options
    thanks (i think hahahaha0 for the support.

irony (and it's grumpy little brother satire) do not translate well on the forum.

sarcasm has a tinge of meaness to it, but i wasn't trying to rub anyone the wrong way.

as you have said many times: ""Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

....when i give an answer, i (try to) make sure that i have thought it out, and that it is helpful to SOMEONE (not necessarily the person asking). sometimes you have to answer the question for the thirty people out there who are more confused by some of the answers than the original question.

no one else bothered to chime in on that post, and so we have a woman with damp musty lump getting the answer that she shouldn't use it. and it's not an answer pointing out what the problems are, it's an answer based on NOT knowing something.

no offense to anyone, but i just don't think it's a good idea when you have 300 lurkers to answer a question by saying "i don't know, therefore, don't do it".