Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An EGGceptional Day (sorry, no pics!)

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I'm having a new fence put in my yard - the old 25+ yo one has had the biscuit. So, the lads were over to do "demo day" (remove the old fence).

So, what did I do?

Well, in the morning I smoked my salmon that I had brining overnight. If you recall, I posted a little bit about a recipe wifie got from her cousin when she was in Texas visiting her.

Smoked Salmon:
Brine:
4C water
1/2C kosher salt
1/3C brown sugar
3tbsp maple syrup
2tbsp soya sauce (?)
1 clove garlic - finedly minced
freshly cracked pepper
1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used tabasco)

Brine overnight, then rinse and pat dry.

For the egg - now remember I was looking for ways to get the temp around 140-150, here's what I did:

I had enough lump in the box so I didn't need more. I just stirred it up a bit (clear those ashes out). Dropped in one itsy bitsy fire starter, and let it go with lid open. Once it was going, I added my smoke chips (alder and maple blend), put the place setter down, grill on, (no drip tray), salmon on the grill skin-side down all at once. Then I closed er up, daisy open a crack and botton about 1/2 inch. The temp was at about 140, and barely climbing. Lots of lovely smoke. 3 1/2 hours later, the dome temp had made it to about 190-200 and salmon was done PERFECTLY (about 140). The taste was absolutely fantastic! :woohoo: :silly: B)

Now its around noonish, ribs didn't need to go on until 3ish, so I shut er down.

RIB TIME ! :woohoo:
4 racks of lovely baby-backs and (believe it or not) I marinated them overnight :side: (membrane off of course) in some dry mustard, ketchup, olive oil, oregano, tiny squirt of lime juice, and black pepper - no salt (yet).

I take them out of the marinade and wipe the lil puppies off with a paper towel. I applied a rub to all racks (I used BGE sweet maple - usually I just make something up).

While rub was setting in, I set up the egg. Same shtick as with the salmon, (I did add a touch more lump). This time, I waited until the dome temp was almost at 200 before I added chips (mesquite you say? - yup mesquite!), plate setter and grill.Temp dropped to about 190, but climed fairly quickly (daisy open 1/2 and bottom about 1/4 inch). It took about 5 mins to stabilize at the beloved sweet spot and on the ribs went!.

3 hours (and a few pints) later, I take the ribs off the rack, sauce em, and just lay them on the grill and shut all vents.

They passed the droop test with flying colours, the meat was JUMPING off the bone into the waiting jaws of the hungry fence-demo team (and us).

Best ribs we've ever had. B) (Wifie kickin me for not taking pics - I was a little distracted by alexander keith).

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    You must stop talking to Alexander Keith! No wonder you have no pics!
    Ya, I have no pics from yesterday either. Mr. Brava was my distraction.
    Sure was a beautiful day yesterday. Until about 6:30 when all hell broke lose. Big time Thunderstorm with lots of wind! Brisket remained calm in it's home. We carved at 7 but ate indoors.
    When you build th new fence, again stay away from Alex.
    Tough to build a straight fence when he is around!
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Well, old alex was kinda pale and a bit red... so I had to deal with it ;) (them hehe)

I wasn't doing the fence work, we have it being done by a few younger lads in the family.

No storm hit us here (near the ottawa airport), but we saw the evil dark clouds go zooming by - just about the time we savagely devoured those ribs. We ate indoors - awaiting the major storm that missed us.

Wifie says they were the best ribs ever. Nice and moist, fall off the bone and full of nice smoky flavour.

All out of keith's, and its much cooler so I'll have to dream up something else to sip on... I wonder what I'll "egg" today?

Haven't done a brisket ... YET. It's on the list for sure!

Cheers :cheer:
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    I think you are right.
    Too cool for Brava or Keiths today. (if there is any left)
    Thinkin' Baby Backs and 40 creek for assistance.
    (Can't grill yet. Put new gasket on last week.)
    What the hell happened to a high of 28 today? Now they say tomorrow. BS!

It must have rained horizontal last night. I just opened my BGE and the gaskets are soaked!
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Dunno about the weather - somehow they can't predict the weather more than a couple hours ahead, but they tell us we'll be planting palm trees here in 50 years. Go figger :huh:

New gasket eh? How old is your egg? How long do you have to wait until grillin time?

Wifie decided on steaks tonight :P
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I have heard 24 hrs is plenty of time for them to set-up.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    My Egg is 2 months old. Followed all instructions. Did 4-5 low cooks to allow gasket to cure. Upon my first Pizza cook, gasket shunk, seperated, and started to fall off.
    Last weekend, I noticed quite a bit of smoke coming out between to gaskets. Time to change it. (Under Warranty)
    I put it on Thursday. This time, I used 3M Super 77 Adhesive Spray to insure a good stick.
    Now waiting again 4-5 low temp. cooks to allow gasket to cure.
    No smoke leaks yesterday.
    Hopefully, I did a better install than factory.
    Time will tell.
    Nomax Gasket will be next if this one doesn't hold up.
  • Eggercat
    Eggercat Posts: 46
    Options
    Too cool for Brava or Keiths today. (if there is any left)
    Thinkin' Baby Backs and 40 creek for assistance.
    Mmm...40 Creek!!!
    I think I just made my plans for this afternoon!
    My wife and I will take a drive, pick up a bottle or 4 of "Three Grain" (my personal favourite)
    I keep getting dirty looks each time I pour a glass of
    "Double Barrel Reserve" for me and my buddy. :lol:

Then come home, and TREX some steaks (and maybe even a Brava or 2)

Thanks for the reminder
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Good choice! B)

As for me, just got back from my jaunt to BBQ "heaven" (captial appliance / BBQ) here in town. They carry all egg sizes (on display too), plus everything an egghead could wish for and a whole lot more. They're a bit pricey (I didn't buy my egg there), but the selection of goodies is enormous!

Got my zaza stone and a CI grill (tonight's steaks are gonna be eggcellent).

They also have wood "chunks" - which I will stock up on next time.

Lads are working on the fence, so I think I'll have a CR and catch a bit the the rangers / caps game.
  • Eggercat
    Eggercat Posts: 46
    Options
    Lads are working on the fence, so I think I'll have a CR and catch a bit the the rangers / caps
    game.

How much fence are they putting up?
    If you keep feeding them, they might never finish!

Have you ever tried Forty Creek Whiskey? It's made by John Hall at Kitling Ridge Distillery in Grimsby (half way between Hamiton and Niagara Falls.
    Try it once and you'll give your CR to the neighbour.
    http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com/history/patiencetimetalent.asp
    I prefer the Three Grain straight up, the Barrel Select with a splash of water and the signiture 'John Hall Double Barrel' for special occasions (hmm, like Sunday afternoons at 3:05 :whistle: )

Any last minute pointers for my first TREX.
    After last nights fiasco with the ribs, I figure I'll ask first, cook second.

Rick