Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE project

Options
Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a clean burn today with the old gasket (600* for about 2.5 hrs) and scrubbing with alum foil. I need to replace the 1 yr old felt gasket...gonna install a nomex I got from the "mothership", will take the lg egg apart and wanted to know about how much the base w/o the fire ring and fire box weighs. I am wondering if I can get the base lifted out of my table by myself?? Older than 68 but younger than 70 and fit as a fiddle :laugh: Garbage in the egg cleaned out really good at that temp...balled up alum foil turned the residue on the inside to powder. Thanks guys and gals for any info. :)
Bob
Alex City,Al

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    It is not bad but to be on the safe side I always get help lifting the Lg and Xl. I have done it solo not to bad but I would hate to see you have an accident and drop it or Pull something.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Thx Eddie for the come back...only problem I have is...the "kids" are 70 miles away and I live in the boonies. Probably good advise and will wait to get help.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al :angry:

Opelika, Alabama
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    why are you wanting to lift the base out of your table? you don't need to do that to apply a new gasket.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Like I said, I can move it around it is not extremly heavy but accidents happen. When I have to move it solo I grab the bottom vent and the other arm around it and hold on to it like you love it. If it makes you feel better I am 46 and in decent shape. :laugh:
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    RRP...want to put a 16x16 paver under my egg and on the feet. I can see what appears to be discoloration from heat on my table under the egg. Thx.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al :)

Opelika, Alabama
  • RRP
    Options
    Do you have anyone to help you? even a child? A few years ago when I retrofitted my large to the spring band I had to insert a second paver so it would raise higher. To do so without taking anything out of the egg (BTW it weights 145 pounds) I merely reverted to the ancient tools of a lever and a fulcrum which makes lifting easy. I just used a garden shovel as the lever and a common brick as the fulcrum. Placing the brick on the bottom shelf a few inches from the BGE base then push the shovel blade under the egg and have someone push down on the shovel thus easily lifting the 145 pounds. My petite wife weights less than that egg and she had no problem lifting it and holding it "in the air" while I could position another stone and the 3 green feet in place. She then carefully let it back down. Trust me - it was that easy! Even one person by themself could do this as long as you have a rope or such to secure the shovel handle while suspended.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Thanks RRP...thought about using a pinch bar or crow bar to lift the bottom portion of the egg, ur idea sounds easier, but I am convinced now that I need to wait till I get help. Lifting 145# is risky. Thanks for the feedback.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • RRP
    Options
    I agree a pinch bar or crow bar won't give the broad base support like a shovel. BTW the shovel I used was the flat bladed one on the left so I really had good support. Since then I have acquired the flat bladed tool called The Mutt used for chopping through small roots and chipping hard ice in the winter - though in FL you probably don't have that problem! :laugh:
    IMG_0110.jpg
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Thanks again for the feedback RRP...I have a flat bladed shovel like the one you posted. Replied to your e-mail and my son and I are going to use the method you suggested. The pinch bar might damage the base of the egg so that is out of the question.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al ;)

Opelika, Alabama