Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken spun to a whole new level

Options
Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So last weekend I was in one of those creative moods. Nothing much in the fidge, and getting near dinner time. I checked the paper and the local market had fresh whole chickens on sale. So I went and got a couple. got out the shears and splached them babies.
decided to do a brine (I was in one of those can leave good enough alone moods) I combined the following:
Juice of two oranges
Juice of one lemon
1 small can of pineapple juice
1/4 onion diced (Maui or other sweet)
1 clove of garlic crushed
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Enough cool water to disolve the salt.[p]I threw the birds into a ziplock bag and added the brine. Put the whole mess into the fidge for a little over 1 hour. (shook the bag once or twice)
I pulled the birds out of the brine and rinsed them with fresh cold water. [p]Then I decided to spin these babies to levels unknown. Went and covered both side of the birds with a generous helping of Tsumani spin. I put them on direct for just about an hour. [p]Everyone agreed:
BEST DAMN CHICKEN I EVER HAD![p]2 chickens 4 people = no chicken left for chicken salad. Nothing but bones left.
Wife told me that this recipe is a keeper.

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    basselope,
    Was the skin crispy? The last butterflied chicken I did was a bit rubbery. This recipe sounds good though. What was your dome temp? I will have to try it if the skin is crispy![p]THanks,
    Mike

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    basselope,
    have to agree about the tsunami spin. . .i've been doing simple beer butts with a tablespoon of tsunami spin in the beer can, rubbed the chickens inside and out with tsunami spin, put them on the grid over the inverted plate setter at 325 (takes about an hour and a half), and everyone agrees, best chicken ever, and i make sure i have extra for chicken salad that my wife says is the best chicken salad ever. . .don't even bother with brines as the beer butt style keeps them unbelievably moist. . .[p]good stuff

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    The skin wasn't real chrispy, but it wasn't rubbery. due to the sugar in both the brine and the rub, a crust was formed that was chrispy.
    Give it a shot, I think you will like it.