Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preparing ribs and boston butt in advance

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, I'm new to the forum... I've owned an egg for a year now and use it regularly (and of course love it). Thanks to all who have provided so much help and info in the past.[p]Question....[p]I'm having a small party Friday night and I'm planning on serving a 9 lb. boston butt and several slabs of ribs. I'm planning on cooking the ribs for 6 hours total but I'm not sure I'll get out of work on time Friday afternoon so that they'll be ready.[p]I'm wondering how good either one of them would be reheated? I can begin the pork Thurs night so I'm not as worried about that but I'm not sure what to do about the ribs.[p]Could I fix them a night or 2 in advance and simply reheat them Fri afternoon?[p]Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Jonny,
    I have made ribs and when I have leftovers, I wrap them in foil and put them in the fridge. I then reheat them in the foil over a grill (if I am not at home w/ the BGE). This has worked pretty well in the past.

• Unknown
    Options
    Jonny,
    In regard to ribs, I've fully cooked ribs and then vacuum sealed 'em (dry, no sauce) and put into the freezer for folks here at work. At lunch I take'em out of the vac bag and reheat them on a gasser for around 15-25 minutes, adding bbq sauce during the last 5 minutes of the cook. All the folks loved them. As a matter of fact, I now have a back order of approx. 30 slabs for folks who want to take them home!![p]Jeff

• Unknown
    Options
    lo n' slo,
    Try the 20 slabs at one time trick that was posted, thats gotta be a hoot!

• Unknown
    Options
    Driftpin,
    Yep, I've never seen so much pork stuffed into a ceramic at one time! I gotta tell ya tho, this rib order allowed me to convince the wife that I could use another cooker......so I got the go-ahead to get a FE100 from fast Eddy!!! So now I'll be able to use Humpty for family cooks & thermonuclear grilling and do large cooks for lots of people....maybe even for profit![p]Jeff

• Unknown
    Options
    lo n' slo,
    Getting ready to lay on about five pounds of meatloaf(favorite cold leftover in the world, guilty pleasure, like admitting you eat Spam)and a 5 pound Angus roast, first attempt at a pulled beef deal, still does not compare to that load! Ten hogs gave their life for that one cook!
    Congrats on the go ahead for the smoker, cant have enough options around the house, just finished mowing around a NBBD and a Weber kettle that gets pressed into service on occassion.

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    lo n' slo,
    what is a FE100?

• Unknown
    Options
    bigmikej,
    It's a large capacity pellet type cooker designed by Fast Eddy in KC Mo. Email me for any additional info.[p]Regards,[p]Jeff