Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket??? What to do?

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HI

We bought a Beef Brisket Flat 3.37lb to make for dinner on Sunday. Never have we made one of these on the BGE and would any suggestions on how to cook and what to do with it. We would greatly appreciate any help you great eggers could offer.

TIA

bw

Comments

• OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    Well, I'm no EGGspert... but I have done brisket on my old (please forgive me) gas BBQ.

I just hit it with a rub, and then smoke the puppy (I used mesquite). I give it a little spray of watered down red wine each time I get up to get a drink B) .

I like it medium rare, so it comes off around 140-150, then wrap it in foil for 10 mins. yummy
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    This worked for me a few weeks ago...

KANSAS CITY BRISKET

Dry Rub
    1/4 cup Sweet Hungarian Paprika
    1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
    1 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
    1 1/2 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
    1 tbsp lemon pepper

Apple juice for spraying

1. Prepare rub. (mix all ingredients in a bowl)

2. Rub the brisket coating evenly on both sides.

3. Fire up the BGE and use a combination of Hickory and Maple chips.

4. Smoke at 225-250, spraying with apple juice every half hour, for 8 hours or until fork-tender. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving.

Brisket.jpg
    Brisket001.jpg
    Brisket002.jpg
  • I am betting that all of the fat has been trimmed of of that tiny brisket, so it probably doesn't matter much what you do with it.

Slow cook it, pretty much how Grand Oeuf Vert said, and hope for the best. I usually look for at least a 10 to maybe 14 pounder. There is much more fat, and where there is fat, there is taste and moisture.